KENDAL and Windermere Fire Service responded to a callout from Queen Katherine School in the middle of a school day. 

A spokesperson for Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service said: “At 11:25 on Wednesday 3 May, Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service were mobilised to reports of a fire at Queen Katherine School, Kendal.

“Crews from Kendal and Windermere attended the scene. The fire was contained to a workshop area and caused by an electrical fault.

“The fire was extinguished and crews were in attendance for approximately two hours.”

Previously, a spokesperson from the school said: "School closed early today because of an electrical fault which has left the school without power.

"Parents, please check your emails, our website, or social media for further updates."