A RURAL community is in shock after the police confirmed that human remains found in Cumbria are those of missing Blackpool man Edward Forrester. 

Mr Forrester, who goes by Eddie, was last seen in Seafield Road, Blackpool at 1.31pm on September 1. The 55-year-old man was reported missing the following day. 

On Wednesday, September 13 Lancaster Police were contacted by Cumbria Police after partial human remains were found on land off Ashes Lane, Staveley, Kendal.

The lane connects Windermere Camping and Caravanning Club to the A591. Police had to close Ashes Lanes and allow holidaymakers off in convoys while the forensic investigations took place. 

The police put out a statement on September 16 that said searches would continue across Cumbria as part of the investigation. 

William Wilkinson, 65, of Seafield Road, Blackpool, was charged with Eddie’s murder earlier this month.

He has since appeared at Preston Crown Court where he was remanded to stand trial on March 4, 2024.

READ MORE: Human remains found in Staveley confirmed to be Edward Forrester

Detectives investigating Mr Forrester’s death are continuing to appeal for information, in particular the movements of a white van in the Kendal and Windermere areas of Cumbria between Sunday, September 3 and Monday, September 4.

A spokesperson for The Camping and Caravanning Club said: “We have been providing our assistance to the police, and our thoughts and condolences go to Mr Forrester’s family and friends.

“We continue to liaise with the relevant authorities to ensure our visitors can gain access to and from the campsite at the appropriate time.”

Mark Kidd, the chair of Staveley with Ings Parish Council said: "We are shocked and saddened about the news of Eddie Forrester's body being found in our Parish area. Our thoughts are with his family, and the Parish Council are in full support of the police and their investigation." 

The South Lakes MP Tim Farron also gave his condolences to Mr Forrester's family: "This is a horrific incident, my prayers are for him and his loved ones. I am so grateful to the police for their sensitivity and professionalism and hope that they will be able to deliver justice in this awful situation."