RESTAURANT bosses have been fined after the best man at a wedding had a severe allergic reaction.

In December 2021, officers received a complaint from a wedding party that the best man had suffered a severe allergic reaction after eating a canapé containing nuts at the event at Hipping Hall, near Kirkby Lonsdale.

This was despite the hotel being informed that two guests were allergic to nuts and another was allergic to peanuts.

District Judge McGarva said it should have been one of the best days of the family’s life and there was a 'wholesale failure' by the company.

According to the judge, the defendant fell far below expectations and the family did everything they could, especially when there was a realistic risk of death.

Hipping Hall ceased operations in July but the operator, Casterton Leisure Limited, pleaded guilty to a breach of food hygiene regulations at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

The firm was fined £16,000 plus a victim surcharge of £190 and ordered to pay costs of £7,071.40 following an investigation by Lancaster City Council’s Environmental Health Department.

Councillor Joanne Ainscough, cabinet member with responsibility for Environmental Health and Enforcement, said: “All businesses have a fundamental duty to their customers to ensure that the food they provide is safe to eat.

"This includes catering for those with allergies, intolerances or coeliac disease."

Councillor Ainscough added: “Whilst our Environmental Health Officers are committed to working with food businesses to help them comply with the statutory duties placed upon them, the council will not hesitate to take enforcement action when food safety and hygiene breaches occur and may result in severe illness or death.”

Following the closure of Hipping Hall earlier this year the hotel is now up for sale with a guide price of £3 million.