People in Cumbria have been urged to use 'flameless candles' ahead of Halloween this year. 

The guidance has been issued by Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service as part of Candle Fire Safety Week.

The dangers have been highlighted due to the naked flames of candles being a cause of quick and unexpected blazes.

If people opt to stick with traditional candles in their pumpkins, the service asked the public not to leave any flames unattended, especially if kept inside.

Other recommendations included using heat-proof mats, proper candle holders and never moving a candle once lit.

Most importantly of all, the fire service reminded people not to attempt to put out a fire in the heat of the moment, lest they cause serious harm to themselves.

In those situations, people should quickly and safely leave their homes and phone 999.