An area in Kendal has been sealed off following stonework which flew off one building and onto the roof of another.

Masonry was reported to have fallen from a building on Highgate close to, but not attached to, Kendal Hostel and Brewery Arts, which damaged a neighbouring building.

Eyewitnesses reported that two fire engines were at the site on 4.30pm on December 31 with a council van and police at the scene spotted later around 9pm.

Unconfirmed reports suggest that some residents in flats were moved out.

Brewery Arts confirmed on social media that is not due to re-open until January 9 however is awaiting news tomorrow (January 3) about access to the car park.

A spokesperson for Westmorland and Furness Council said: "The council was made aware of an issue with a building where some stonework had fallen and damaged the roof of an adjacent building.

“Our highways teams provided some temporary barriers around the site to make the area safe and officers from our building control team have today attended to assess the level of damage.

"We have engaged a contractor to provide propping and scaffolding to allow safe removal of the fallen stonework and damaged roofing slates.

"Officers have also met with the building owners and understand repairs will be carried out through the building’s insurance."

The Westmorland Gazette: The Highgate building has been sealed off until a structural engineer can come outThis photograph was taken by Tom Walsh of the scene sealed off.

Cumbria police confirmed officers were informed by fire crews on the afternoon of New Year's Eve of concerns around the structural integrity of a building in Highgate in Kendal.

The force is aware that tape/plastic fencing is in place until it can be properly assessed by a structural engineer. There was no other police involvement.

A spokesperson for Cumbria Fire and Rescue said: "Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service was called to a property at Highgate, Kendal, that had received weather damage just after 3.30pm on December 31st.

"Crews assisted in making the building safe, and the incident was handed over to the police and local authority.”