MILNTHORPE Corinthians boss Keith Singleton will step down as manager at the end of the season following a difficult campaign at the foot of Division Two.

Club chairman Ian Hunt thanked Singleton for his three and a half years of service, and the current manager will remain with the Corinthians ‘in some capacity’ after this season.

“The club would like to thank Keith for his service to the club and once we have had committee meetings we will actively be seeking a new manager,” said Hunt.

The chairman added that Singleton would remain on the club’s committee after this season, and that Singleton had decided to step down for ‘footballing reasons’.

On Saturday Milnthorpe’s difficult season continued when they lost 4-2 at home to Askam United, who moved up to fourth in the table just four points away from promotion.

Jordan Rayner broke the deadlock after just a couple of minutes, bagging his brace just before half time to give Askam a 2-0 advantage.

Kevin Edwards made it 3-0 just after the interval but the Corinthians pulled one back through Kieron Gudgeon.

Chris McLean got Askam’s fourth with quarter of an hour to go, and despite Jake Miles providing an immediate response for Milnthorpe, Askam went on to win.

Kendal County paid the price for missed opportunities as they suffered a surprise 2-0 setback to Croston Sports.

Joe Baker, Adam Pashley and Kris Clough all had chances but the turning point came when Croston broke down the right, exposing the County defence. James Liversedge finished into the bottom right corner of the goal to give the away side the lead.

Pashley had an effort saved by the keeper but Croston made sure of the points when County failed to clear a ball into the box, and Alex Abbott got the goal that lifted the away side up to 12th in the table.

In Division One Dalton United were denied all three points when Turton equalised two minutes from time in an eight-goal thriller.

Sam Alexandra and Martin Pearse gave Dalton a dream start when they put the home side 2-0 up after quarter of an hour.

Lee pulled one back in the 21st minute and the scoreline remained at 2-1 until the game exploded into life in the 58th minute.

Pearse got his double up but Kieran Sissons got Turton’s second straight away as Dalton clung to their lead 3-2.

Turton levelled through Jordan Lomax with 20 minutes left but Danny Leach restored United’s advantage shortly after.

It looked like Dalton were going to claim the win but in the 88th minute, Philip Johnson equalised again as Turton rescued a point in a 4-4 draw.