By Brett McCarten

KIRKOSWALD inflicted the first defeat of the season upon Keswick when they emerged 2-1 victors at the West Cumbrians on Tuesday night.

A disastrous start from the home side saw them concede within a few seconds as a misplaced pass was intercepted by Kirkoswald, who took advantage to open the scoring.

A determined Keswick tried to pressure the opposition, but saw the away side increased their lead after 20 minutes.

Keswick were handed a lifeline when Little pounced on the end of a cross to flick the ball over the keeper to make it 2-1, but it was mere consolation as Kirkoswald ran out deserved winners.

It wasn’t all doom and gloom for Keswick though, as they defeated Wetheriggs United 2-0 on Saturday to reach the High Sheriff’s Cup final.

An impressive Keswick start helped to edge them in front as a smart Frampton finish beat the United keeper to make it 1-0.

Wetheriggs created a host of chances but could not find the equaliser, and 10 minutes from time, Keswick’s Little curled a fantastic free-kick into the top corner to settle the game for his team.

Appleby also reached the final of the High Sheriff’s Cup after an extra-time victory over Staveley United.

It wasn’t until late in the second half that the game came to life after a remarkable save from Appleby keeper Richardson kept his side in the tie.

Minutes later, however, the score was 1-0 to Staveley.

With not long left, Appleby substitute Dean rewarded his manager by equalising with two minutes to go following a goalmouth scramble.

With 10 minutes of extra time left, Appleby went ahead when Dean struck again, and they added a third as Crawford thumped the ball home to send Appleby through to the final.

In the Westmorland League, a Jason Tucker brace inspired Kendal United as they thrashed Lunesdale United 6-0.

It was a game of two halves as Lunesdale dominated the first half - hitting the woodwork twice, and missing a penalty.

It proved to be costly as an unforgiving Kendal United took advantage, with Matt Wilson opened the scoring, before Tucker hit Lunesdale on the counter-attack to make it 2-0.

Jay Turner mpressively struck from the edge of the area, before Tucker added his second and Kendal’s fourth of the game.

Cameron Stewart increased his team’s lead from just outside the six-yard box, before 16-year old Brandon Robinson completed the rout with a debut goal.

Bottom-placed Sedbergh Wanderers beat Ambleside United Reserves 4-2 to boost their chances of avoiding relegation.

Sedbergh dominated the first half as Oliver Wales scored twice.

United hit back in the second half to make it 2-1, but Robert Close added to Ambleside’s woes as he hit the third goal for Wanderers.

Eliott Oxley scored the fourth for Sedbergh, before United added a consolation, but it was not enough as Sedbergh moved within three points of safety with only their second win of the season.

They remain bottom of the table.

Relegation-threatened Kendal Celtic were comfortably beaten 4-2 by Burneside, while high-flying Wetheriggs United narrowly beat Penrith Rangers 1-0 to close the gap between them and leaders Appleby to three points.