THE race for the Bluefin Insurance Westmorland Football League is hotting up as the title-chasers all picked up victories over the last seven days.

Wetheriggs United did their title chances the world of good with two big wins to boost their goal difference significantly.

Firstly they crushed Ambleside United Reserves 8-0 on Saturday thanks to a George Burne hat-trick, a Ben Pool brace and goals for Peter Askins, Philip Askins and Andy Mills.

Then on Tuesday night they moved three points clear of Appleby when they beat Kendal United 6-1 with their game in hand over the Eden side.

Keswick are still six points off the top but with two games in hand, and they did all they could this week by recording back-to-back successes.

First up was a 3-0 victory at Burneside before they eased to success at home to strugglers Lunesdale United in a 6-0 win.

Appleby were also in rude form as they began a difficult week for Kendal United by gaining revenge for their defeat earlier in the season in a 4-1 victory.

After 10 minutes they took the lead when excellent pressure by Crawford fell to Dent following a defensive mix-up, and he tapped home into an empty net.

Shortly after they doubled the lead. After hard work by Crawford the ball fell kindly to Addison, who neatly volleyed home.

It was all Appleby and further chances came and went until just before half time Dent scored his second after a goalmouth scramble.

Kendal United came into the game more in the second half and enjoyed a sustained period of pressure, but Appleby scored again after Dent found himself one on one and coolly lofted the ball over the keeper to complete his hat-trick.

Kendal kept pushing and received a consolation when they scored from a penalty with 15 minutes to go.

Staveley United finished their season by giving their survival credentials a massive boost after beating fellow strugglers Penrith Rangers 2-0.

Rangers have had three points deducted, and occupy the final relegation spot, which means Staveley are 10 points clear of them with four games to go for the sides in the drop zone.

Staveley’s first goal came when Adam Thwaites crossed the ball after a Penrith player was dispossessed and Jamie Jolly poked home from close range to make it 1-0 at the interval.

In the second half, Staveley had three or four attempts, including a 25-yarder that stung the crossbar, but with 10 minutes left, Jamie Stott made sure of the points with a deflected goal from a corner to make it a good end to Staveley’s season.

Niall Renwick struck four goals for Kirkoswald as they won 6-2 at home to Lunesdale United, who lie four points above the relegation zone.

Sean Elliott scored a double for Kirkoswald, while Lunesdale’s goals came from David Beecham and Jonathan Lowis.

Sedbergh Wanderers were also dealt a blow after Ambleside United Reserves beat them 4-1 midweek, and Sedbergh sit two points ahead of Rangers.

The race for the Division Two title is also getting interesting after Langwathby United beat Windermere SC 3-0 to go one point clear of Penrith Reserves, with Carvetii United a further point back in third.