IT was a match which ultimately reflected both Rossendale and Kendal’s year, low in confidence and making too many errors but all in all it was the opposition’s quality of play and better handling in the second half that saw them through.

Glen Weightman was captain as Dom Musetti had still not fully recovered from a previous head injury. Chris Downham, Myles Harrop and Kirk Chettleburgh returned after missing the trip to Billingham.

Rossendale had the advantage of the wind in the first half, but the opening exchanges were fairly even, with both teams suffering from handling errors.

Kendal had a chance to open the scoring but it was Rossendale who beat them to it after 20 minutes of play as their pack rumbled over the line to open the score with a conversion.

Five minutes later Chris Downham was forced off with a cut to the head, with Robbie Collinson coming on.

On the half hour, Rossendale extended their lead. A penalty was taken quickly and the ball moved wide for centre Lewis Pattison to exploited a gap to go over for the try making it 12-0.

Chris Downham returned to the field after receiving attention from the doctor, but Kendal were soon further behind.

The strong wind was making restarts difficult, and the kick was blown back to Kendal. Danny Barker managed to knock the ball back, but it fell to a Rossendale player, who made ground, taking him to the twenty two. While Kendal managed to stop him, they conceded a penalty, that Rossendale fullback Lewis Allen put over for a 15-0 score.

The final score of the half came from confusion at a Kendal lineout, which saw the ball lost, which set up a chance for Rossendale hooker Tom Allen, who scored his team’s third try finishing the half 20-0.

Kendal came out a bit stronger in the second-half. Rossendale was penalised for failing to release the ball. The referee then moved the penalty forward, and newly signed Wayne Ngubane, took the ball quickly, but was stopped by what the referee deemed to be an illegal tackle, and Rossendale centre Jack Ward was yellow carded.

After 25 minutes Kendal finally had a score, with replacement prop Mike Bradshaw squeezing over in the corner. Chris Park was unsuccessfully in his attempt to use the wind to put over the difficult conversion kick.

A break by Rossendale scrum half James Bramhall extended the lead again 32-5, with 10 minutes left.

Despite the weather deteriorating Kendal was battling hard in Rossendale’s twenty two but they could not find a way through.

With the final move of the game, Kendal succeeded in adding a second try. A good cross field passing move saw Myles Harrop go over for a try in the corner.

Kendal now has a rest weekend but next week they face a difficult away trip to Wirral, a team who will be keen to put right after losing against bottom of the league Wilmslow who have only won two games this season.

Kendal 10 - Rossendale 32