THE entire league programme was washed out on Saturday which means that Westgate and Carnforth remain tied at the top of Division 1, with Milnthorpe four points behind.

And that sets things up nicely for this Saturday’s must see game in which Milnthorpe host Carnforth, with the home team expecting to be at full strength while Carnforth are missing a number of players.

Westgate meanwhile have a chance to boost their title hopes as they host strugglers Silverdale.

Fortunately the weather was kinder at Cartmel on Sunday where the efforts of Tony Hadwin and the Cartmel club delivered a superb spectacle in the Division 2 T20 semi-finals with both matches decided on the final ball.

In the first game, Cartmel struggled to 87/9 with Andrew Holmes (pictured left facing Sarge Islam) making 27 and Jacob Vaughan taking 4/8.

When Westgate 2nds were 23/0 from 7 overs, that seemed an inadequate target, but John Burton (3/10) and Stuart Bailey bowled a tight length and line in the middle overs.

They only conceded 15 runs from the next 8 overs and in the process reduced the visitors to 27/3.

Danny Wilkinson (pictured right) made 53 not out from 50 balls and Peter Wilson (11) dug in and then accelerated, but 12 were needed from the final over bowled by Jono Cooper.

Wilkinson hit a six over midwicket which left three needed from three balls, but Cooper held his nerve and with two needed from the final ball, Wilson was left short of his ground as he ran back for the second and Cartmel were victorious by a single run.

In the second game, Shireshead made 101/9 with Robert Skipworth top scoring with 33.

The highlight was when Carnforth captain Neil Dugdale took an outstanding one-handed catch to remove the dangerous Andrew Murphy, diving backwards and emerging with the ball in his left hand.

Carnforth were well placed at 58/2 with experienced pair Wayne Tomlinson (31) and Glenn Russell (27) in control, but accurate bowling from Jake Gould and Andrew Weir built pressure and 10 were needed from the final over.

Again it went down to the final ball with Carnforth requiring two to level the scores and win by virtue of losing fewer wickets.

And this time Lee Potter and Reuben Bragg were able to scramble the two runs required to see them home.

On Friday, Holme 2nds beat Galgate in the Division 3 semi-final.

Batting first, some big hitting from Johnny Varden (34) enabled Holme to total 114/9.

Then an accurate and threatening opening spell by young bowler Kieran Hunter (2/9) meant Galgate were not able to get off to a flying start and although Lee Moorhouse dug in they were always behind the required rate.

Varden and Ted Littlefair closed out the innings and Galgate were dismissed for 78.

In the League on Sunday, Carnforth 3rds beat Holme 2nds, knocking off their target of 100 with ease.

This Sunday, Arnside play Carnforth in the Hackney and Leigh T20 Final at Bare CC at 3pm, and the game will be preceded by the Division 4 final between Kendal 3rd XI and Sedbergh School at 11am.