Clitheroe 2

Kendal Town 0

NOT for the first time this season, Kendal Town out on a decent performance but were left frustrated and disappointed by defeat,

And that frustration was made worse by the fact that it was two former players who did the damage.

Former Mintcakes player Craig Carney gave Clitheroe the lead in the opening minutes, and the victory was sealed by another ex-Kendal man in the shape of Connor Gaul who tucked away a second half spot kick.

And with Town's Tom Fagan being sent off for the foul which resulted in the penalty, there as no way back for Steve Edmondson’s side who up to that point had given as good as they got in what had been a close fought BetVictor League encounter at Clitheroe's compact Shawbridge home.

It was the home side who had started the better and indeed they should have gone ahead within a minute only for Owen Watkinson's goalbound effort to be blocked by the Kendal defence.

The hosts continued to dominate possession and Gaul's searching ball across the box was turned wide of the post by yet another former Mintcakes player, striker Oliver Wood.

Watkinson then dragged his effort inches wide of the target after going clean through on goal as Town fought a rearguard battle.

And their defence was finally breached on the 15 minute mark when Carney finished off a slick move by slotting the ball past visiting keeper Morgan Bacon.

But the goal sparked Town into life and they really should have equalised soon after when Sean Paterson rounded Connor King only for the Kendal man to somehow find the side netting with his shot.

The visitors continued to cause problems for the Clitheroe defence with Emil Jaaskelainen and Paterson creating further opportunities, but they were unable to find the leveller and went in at the break still a goal down.

And those missed chances were to prove costly as they made the worst possible start to the second half when Fagan saw red after hacking down Watkinson in the penalty area.

Gaul was quick to accept the opportunity, calmly rolled the resulting penalty into the net to double the home team's lead.

With the one man advantage, Clitheroe seized control and began to dominate proceedings, Wood seeing his effort saved by Bacon before Daniel Gray's ferocious effort from outside the box went just over the cross bar.

Watkinson then squandered an even better opportunity to make it 3-0 as his effort cannoned off the inside of the post and was somehow cleared.

To Kendal's credit, they continued to battle despite the numerical disadvantage, but they eventually ran out of steam as Clitheroe closed out the game to ease to victory.

Town hope to get back to winning ways when they host City of Liverpool FC at the ST&B Accountants Stadium on Saturday, 3pm kick off.

The Merseysiders have a sizeable away following and should bring some decent support to Kendal for a game Edmondson's men will be desperate to get something from as they look to climb the table.