Dunston 2

Kendal Town 0

A HARD fought BetVictor League clash ended in defeat for Kendal Town.

But Steve Edmondson's side will feel hard done by after being denied time and again by Dunston shot stopper Karl Dryden who had an inspired afternoon and made a number of key saves in the game.

They had battled gamely to trey to level matters after Cedywn Scott's 30th minute goal had put the home side ahead, but they could not make the breakthrough.

And despite Dunston being reduced to 10 men in the later stages following the dismissal of Mark Fitzpatrick, the North East outfit held on and a last minute strike by Jake Stafford sealed a fourth consecutive league defeat for Kendal.

The game had started in lively fashion with both teams attacking with intent for the opening 10 minutes in which the action was end to end.

Dunston's Luke Page drilled a shot wide of the post before Scott was denied by Kendal keeper Morgan Bacon after being played in by a defence splitting pass from Fitzpatrick.

But the visitors looked a threat on the break and should have taken the lead through Elliott Moore whose glancing header went narrowly wide of the far post.

And the Mintcakes continued to create opportunities, with Emil Jaaskelainen denied by Dryden who saved down low at the far post, Kieran Maguire going close and Moore again narrowly failing to put his side ahead.

However, it was Dunston took the lead on the half hour mark as Page slipped a ball into the feet of Scott who stroked the ball into the net past the outstretched arms of Bacon,

Kendal kept pushing and in the closing stages of the opening period were further frustrated by Dryden who denied Maguire after the former Workington player went one on one with the keeper.

The second half was greeted by a heavy wintery down pour as supporters raced for sanctuary in the stands.

But the Mintcakes continued to battle and were frustrated by Dryden once again as he saved at the feet of Joseph Dickson who latched onto a diagonal ball played in behind by Callum Elliott.

Dickson curled a shot wide moments later, then it was Dunston's turn to press as Scott went close to extending the home side's lead.

The weather conditions worsened still further as the game approached its final stages, but there was still plenty of drama to come.

Andrew Grant-Soulsby, Jake Stafford and Fitzpatrick all had opportunities for the hosts before the latter was sent off for a late tackle.

It presented a great opportunity for Kendal but despite having the one man advantage, they could not make it count.

And it was Dunston who wrapped up the win on 90 minutes when Stafford struck an unstoppable low free kick which flew past the powerless Morgan and into the bottom corner.

Town hope to get back to winning ways when they travel to Prescot on Saturday before hosting Colne on Boxing Day.