IN THEIR first encounter in the new season Kendal and Netherfield faced off in a highly anticipated match up which saw both teams bringing out the best in their opponents.

The game saw Kendal achieve an impressive second innings comeback and a stunning win over Netherfield by 68 runs.

The derby game took place at Shap Road on Saturday.

Netherfield won the toss of the coin and elected to field.

The decision saw them off to a confident start when Isaac Medhurst picked up wickets from Chris Miller and James Park.

Medhurst was then brought out to bowl, resulting in them seeing off Park who saw his tame shot caught by Josh Dixon.

Netherfield did not let up as they continued to rip through Kendal’s defence line up.

Joel Derham took the wickets of both Darren Nightingale and Terry Hunte.

Nightingale saw his skilful and powerful strikes taken by Brad Earl, and then Finley Richardson stumped Hunte.

This left Kendal on the backfoot with a score of 39-4.

The impressive performance by Netherfield put them in a good standing for a win, and Kendal needed to dig deep for a comeback.

Ben Phillips and Saeed Bariwala posted what proved to be a crucial fifth wicket stand of 27.

Despite this, Netherfield again broke through when Brad Earl ran out Bariwala.

This proved to be a sign of things to come later in the game.

With the importance of the game, and the good start Netherfield had put in their way, Kendal pushed forward.

Joseph Dodds, who has had an impressive run with his batting skills in recent weeks, attempted to rebuild the innings.

Aided by Ben Phillips, Kendal found themselves edged forward with a score of 80.

Oli Wileman claimed the wickets of both Phillips and Dodds, while Netherfield’s newest acquisition ran out Harry Lee with Kendal on the brink at 89-8.

Samuel Medhurst bowled Richard Dakin before Wileman trapped Toby Tyson LBW with Kendal all out for 95.

With a lower score, Kendal had to defend themselves from the ripples caused by the early pressure from Netherfield throughout the rest of the game.

Netherfield’s partnership of Ben Barrow and Finlay Richardson was a significant obstacle in their way.

The Auld Greys did not let their difficult position distract them in their offensive against Netherfield who had bowled them out for 95.

The second innings required each Kendal player to put in their maximum effort, and that is what happened.

Toby Tyson’s second innings return of 6-12 guided Kendal to victory after they bowled Netherfield out for just 27 off 16.5 overs.

Tyson’s performance spurred great hope for the rest of the team. He also bowled out Richardson before Singh trapped Barrow LBW with Netherfield toiling on 3-2.

Netherfield were in dire straits when Tyson continued with Kendal’s come back by bowling out Josh Dixon.

The team now stood at 3-3.

The gloom continued to descend over the Field following the dismissal of Brad Earl who was bowled by Kuldeep Singh.

Both teams were now on edge.

Richard Dakin ran out Tom Anderton, and Netherfield began losing wickets at a regular rate.

Tyson completing his six-wicket haul taking the wickets of Oli Wileman, Isaac Medhurst, Joel Derham and Theo Gallagher.

He earned great praise from fans and players for his efforts this weekend.

Harry Lee went on to complete the win as he picked up the wicket of the injured Matt Jackson.

Jackson had been caught by Kuldeep Singh.

Netherfield were bowled out for 27 off 16.5 overs.

The match saw high energy and commitment from all involved, and this is expected to be the first of many exciting encounters the two cricket teams will enjoy as the season unfolds.

The two teams will go head to head once again this Saturday at Parkside Road.

While Netherfield also have a Twenty-20 home game against Torrisholme on Friday night.

This match marks the first victory Kendal has achieved this season after suffering two early defeats at the hands of Morecambe. Their next game comes this weekend.