A fiercely-contested Boxing Day clash saw Kendal Town lose out 3-2 against Colne.

The match saw back-and-forth action as well as skilful technique and manoeuvring from both sides but, despite the impressive play, Kendal were ultimately unable to keep up with the promotion favourites.

Colne, who themselves needed a result, are in the running to reach the top of the Northern Premier League's North West Division

Kendal, who came into the game from a 1-1 draw at Clitheroe four days earlier, were 1-0 down after just four minutes when Reece Webb Foster capitalised on a mistake by Chris Humphrey before firing the ball past Morgan Bacon in the Kendal goal.

Colne dominated the ball as Kendal toiled, with Lee Pugh and Webb Foster firing efforts into the hands of Bacon.

However, against the run of play, Kendal equalised on the 15-minute mark.

This occurred following a quick free kick by Humphrey as Danny Keenan was able to break through and score from close range.

Encouraged by the equalising goal and the frustration of their hosts, the Cumbrian side were able to keep Colne at bay and limit them to half chances.

The Mintcakes created several chances for themselves as they proved themselves a match for one of the in-form teams in the league, feeling their way into the game.

Colne, desperate for a goal before half time, went the closest after Jamie Cook blazed over from distance.

But Kendal stunned the hosts at the start of the second half after going 2-1 up when Humphrey then followed up by unleashing an unstoppable effort which flew into the net.

However, as the weather conditions worsened the game became more open and Colne equalised 57 minutes in.

This came following a quick ball into the box which fell to Webb Foster, who tapped home from close range.

Colne pressed for the winner, creating countless opportunities with Pugh’s header pushed onto the bar by Bacon, while Jamie Cook went clean through on goal but saw his effort blocked by the Kendal shot-stopper. They continued to push while Webb Foster curled the ball wide from close range with Harry Winstanley firing his effort off-target. Kendal were left with half chances, most notably from Keenan who just saw his effort cleared by the home team defence while Ben Anderson blazed over.

However, with just two minutes left on the clock, Colne edged in front after a free kick from the left fell to Dean and his powerful header hit the back of the net as the rain continued to fall.

Kendal struggled deep into injury time while Colne went on to secure the win.

The Mintcakes were able to hold their own against the promotion favourites and made their opponents work for their victory in a disappointing result but an encouraging performance.