KENDAL Town slumped to their fifth consecutive league defeat losing 5-1 to Trafford at a rain-soaked Parkside Road Stadium.

The Mintcakes suffered a torrid afternoon in the rain where they had no answers to an impressive Trafford team who are battling it out for promotion at the top of the league.

Kendal was up against it at half time after they were 2-0 down after goals by Curtis Miller and Max Hazeldine, and things became even worse during the second half when goals by Darius Palma, Connor Hughes and Hazeldine saw the visitors go 5-0 in front.

Chris Humphrey’s team at least got on the score sheet with just nine minutes left after Mambwe Chilufya scored, however Trafford powered home to victory as Kendal remained second from bottom in the table.

Kendal made a number of changes to their starting eleven which included a debut to local player Darren Nightingale who came up from the Clubs reserve team, while top goal scorer Eric Yahaya was on the bench.

The Mintcakes were also without a number of players including Greg Mc Caragher while the manager played a different defensive partnership at the back after Louis Jeanne left to join Clitheroe.

Trafford buoyed by their recent performances made a confident start and dominated Kendal on a rain soaked afternoon and could have been 2-0 up within the first 12 minutes after Max Hazeldine saw his effort go wide while Curtis Miller forced a good save out of Oliver Lombard who carried the ball for a corner.

However, the visitors were soon 1-0 up on 14 minutes after Curtis Miller slotted the ball home from close range, before further opportunities were created from Ross Davidson who volleyed the ball wide, before Miller headed the ball into the side netting.

Kendal had a five-minute spell where they were beginning to apply some pressure without creating any clear-cut opportunity on the Trafford goal.

Trafford made it 2-0 on 43 when Max Hazeldine who had just missed a good opportunity scored from close range as the visitors were deservedly in control of the game.

Trafford started the second half well and were 3-0 up after 57 minutes following a good goal by Darius Palma and the visitors pushed on for more goals when Miller fired his shot wide of the bar.

Kendal created their first chance soon after when Yvez Zama saw his header rebound off the bar, before Trafford made it 4-0 after 75 minutes when Hazeldine made a run down the right before laying the ball off to Connor Hughes who slotted the ball past Lombard.

Hazeldine who scored his second completed the scoring after 78 minutes with a fine individual goal, while Kendal scored a late consolation after Mambwe Chilufya placed the ball into the net.

Trafford saw out the closing stages as they completed a comfortable afternoon for the team.

Kendal is in FA Trophy action on Saturday where they host Yorkshire Amateur.

After the game Kendal Town manager Chris Humphrey shared his thoughts on the game:

He said: “I’m afraid we just had some of the team who weren’t at the races. We can’t afford to have that against anyone, especially a team like Trafford who pass the ball around so well.

“Our young goalkeeper Oliver Lombard wasn’t to blame.

“He might possibly look at himself over one of them but he’s a good kid.

“We send a video of each game to the Preston goalkeeping coach for him to analyse with Oliver and we are hoping to be able to keep him for the rest of the season."