KENDAL Town progressed into the next round of The Senior Challenge Cup after a hard fought 3-0 win against Westmorland League Division Two side Burneside at Parkside Road on Tuesday Night.

The Mintcakes had to work hard for the win and break an unfortunate losing streak.

During the second half they scored all three goals, following a goalless first half against an opponent who themselves battled all the way and created opportunities. 

However, Kendals problems in front of goal looked to continue especially during the first half where they missed some glorious chances most notably when Greg McCaragher blazed over from inside the penalty area while Yvez Zama and Mambwe Chilufya went close.

Burneside cheered on by a strong support, caused problems of their own with talisman Jay Hayton going close and causing Kendal’s defence into a number of last-ditch challenges, in a largely frustrating first half for Jordan Scott and his team.

In the second half Burneside played with confidence with Hayton causing more problems before one of their players blazed the ball over the bar.

Kendal created more opportunities with Mambwe Chilufya and Yvez Zama hitting the bar while the Burneside made a good save to deny Greg McCaragher.

However, Kendal opened the scoring midway through the second half after Yvez Zama capitalised on a mistake by a Burneside player before rolling the ball into the net.

Kendal with all the momentum went onto score their second after a good finish by Mambwe Chilufya before Jordan Scott scored a third as The Mintcakes in the end prevailed and booked their place into the next round.

Burneside played their part during the game and gave Kendal a harder game than what some anticipated with Kendal largely frustrated, while Parkside Road was packed with a good crowd mostly cheering and supporting Burneside on.

However, at the weekend Kendal crashed to their seventh straight league defeat after they lost 3-0 at Leek Town.

Kendal despite the defeat played much better than they have in recent weeks, in what was Jordan Scott’s first game in interim charge of the team.

The MIntcakes made a bad start and were 1-0 down after just 5 minutes when Will Saxon scored, however after conceding Kendal frustrated Leek where the home fans began to get irritated.

Kendal defended well and looked more compact while they played together as a team, without creating too much in front of the goal.

As the game went on, Kendal continued to frustrate and work hard with their best chance falling to Yvez Zama.

However, the game changed with just 15 minutes to go after Kendal shot Stopper Oliver Lombard got injured meaning that Chris Wraighte who is an outfield player had to go in goal.

Leek from that point capitalised although none of the goals were Wraightes fault, with Tim Grice and Daniel Trickett Smith scoring after 78 and 84 minutes as Leek ran out victorious.

Kendal remains at the bottom of the table on three points and are cut adrift while their next game isn’t until Saturday 6 November when they host Kidsgrove Athletic at Parkside Road.