KENDAL Town has been hit with another knock in their Northern Premier Division campaign following a hard loss to Marine.

The 4-1 defeat has given the club another setback in the division following this defeat.

The defeat, which was compounded by a late win for Prescot Cables, saw Kendal ten points adrift of the relegation play off place while they are now 13 points from safety.

However, while there were some positives, bad defending ultimately cost the team, while the Mintcakes were also reduced to ten men following the dismissal of Darren Nightingale.

Kendal made one change from the defeat against Newcastle where Joel Brogan started in place of Will Higham while they went with a different formation.

Marine who themselves were on a bad run of form created the first opening when Ryan Wignall saw his effort deflect onto the cross bar while Lewis Reilly’s free kick was blocked by the Kendal defence.

And the hosts edged Infront on 30 minutes after Danny Shaws powerfully headed the ball into the net from a clinical delivery by Marines vice-captain.

Kendal was then hit by a second goal moments later when a dangerous ball into the penalty areas was headed on by Mark Howarth and onto Lewis Reilly who scored from close range.

However, with the score at 2-0, Akiel Raffie placed the ball 20 yards from goal and curled an excellent free kick into the top right corner of Aidan Dowling’s goal.

After the break, the away side started to impose themselves more on the game, enjoying longer spells of possession.

Despite this, they struggled to break down a structured Marine defence.

Marine withstood the increase in pressure however, and in the 68th minute, another Barrigan corner resulted in a goal, as Mark Howarth was once again first to the ball to reinstate Marine’s two-goal cushion.

A string of firm and late challenges from both sets of players saw tensions in the match begin to rise, and on the 72-minute mark, Kendal skipper Darren Nightingale was given his marching orders by referee Tom Swift, after receiving two yellow cards in the space of a minute.

Marine used their one-man advantage well for the last 17 minutes before Ben Hughes scored the fourth goal with a good finish following on from a delivery by Neil Kengni.

Kendal host Leek Town on Saturday in another tough game against an opponent who are currently in the play offs.