KENDAL Town now resides thirteen points away from relegation following their defeat at the hands of Leek Town at the Mortgages by McAteer Stadium.

The 3-1 loss places them 17 points away from safety.

However, the manner of the defeat was equally frustrating where the Mintcakes for long periods were competing against one of the favourites for promotion however poor defending from set pieces ultimately cost David Woodruffs team as Kendal’s hopes of survival hang by a thread.

Kendal gave a debut to Charles Egan, while Eric Yahaya who recently re-joined the club started up front.

There were also debuts for Plamedi Kinkela and Kris Smith who were both on the bench with Kinkela coming on late into the second half.

Kendal made a positive start and should have gone 1-0 up within the first minute after Eric Yahaya headed the ball over the bar from close range.

Leek keen to extend their good run of form began to pose Kendal problems before opening the scoring after 14 minutes when a free kick into the box by Daniel Trickett Smith was headed into the net by Oliver Harrison.

However, Kendal responded and equalised soon after following a stunning volley by Danny Edwards which left the visiting keeper stranded.

Leek responded and pushed Kendal back before creating further opportunities from Trickett Smith and Will Saxon.

Trickett Smith who was a constant threat should have scored moments later after his effort on goal was cleared off the line before Oliver Harrisons rebound was also cleared with Kendal shot stopper James McClenaghan averting the danger.

Kendal’s luck ran out five minutes before half time after Oliver Harrison scored his second from close range after McClenaghan pushed a Trickett Smith effort onto the rebound before Harrison scrambled home the rebound.

In the second half Kendal struggled to impose themselves into the game, while Leek were comfortable in possession without being effective.

The threat of Will Saxon caused Kendal’s defence further problems while James McClenaghan made a couple of strong saves from both Lewis Short and Tim Grice.

Kendal’s only real chance of the half came after a ball into the penalty area was missed by everyone including the on-rushing Eric Yahaya who just couldn’t get onto the end of the delivery.

Leek sealed the win on 77 minutes after Louis Keenan’s free kick nestled into the top corner despite James McClenaghans valiant attempt to prevent the ball from going in.

The visitors could have scored more through Rob Stevenson, while Gary Basterfield forced Leek keeper Daniel Roberts into a save.

Unfortunately, Kendal slumped to defeat as they travel to play Kidsgrove Athletic on Saturday.