KENDAL Town suffered a difficult start in the Premier Division after two defeats.

The Mintcakes made a losing start to the season after they suffered two consecutive away defeats to both Vauxhall Motors and Barnoldswick Town in the North West Counties Premier Division.

On Saturday, Kendal lost 2-0 at Vauxhall Motors, before losing 4-1 to Barnoldswick Town on Tuesday night on a frustrating night where Barnoldswick shot stopper Harry Joe Smith pulled off a string of fine saves to deny Jimmy Marshalls team.

During the weekend Kendal were below par, while Vauxhall ran out deserved winners in a competitive contest where the Mintcakes were 1-0 down after 18 minutes when Lewis Buckley scored, before Ethan Gouldbourne sealed the points on 63-minute capitalising on a mistake by Ben Wilcock in the Kendal goal before sliding in from close range.

Kendal keen to bounce back from Saturdays defeated started well in their midweek game at Barnoldswick Town and could have gone 1-0 up after Tom Kilifins effort was saved by Harry Joe Smith.

The Mintcakes continued to press after Martin Grundy was inches away at the back post following a dangerous free kick into the area by Rob Wilson.

Barnoldswick caused problems with Ben Ashton firing a powerful effort wide of the post, after Kendal initially cleared a corner away.

Kendal went 1-0 up after 18 minutes when Finlay Lynch unleashed a powerful shot from inside the box which went into the net.

Barnoldswick equalised four minutes later after Kuda Chingwaro flicked the ball into the net from a free kick into the box.

However, in a wide-open start to the game, Kendal nearly regained the lead when Darren Nightingale headed the ball at the keeper from a corner before Barnoldswick edged in front after Bradley Knox scored while Kendal failed to clear the ball away from danger.

The host capitalised on another mistake by the Mintcakes after a corner was played low at the edge of the box before Knox who was left unmarked fired his effort in off the post as Barnoldswick were 3-1 up at half time.

Kendal dominated the second half after Tom Kilifins effort was parried by Harry Joe Smith before Rob Wilsons follow up deflected onto the post.

Kilifin saw another good effort saved by the keeper after his angled strike was tipped away for another corner,while Harry Joe Smith denied Shaun Sailor who saw his goal bound effort parried away.

Barnoldswick should have scored their fourth after Gareth Hill saw his shot on goal blaze over the bar, before Kendal had a goal ruled out for offside after 83 minutes.

The host sealed the win during the closing stages when Darren Nightingale was dispossessed out wide before a ball played into the box fell to Kuda Chingwaro who slotted home.

Kendal travel to Thornaby in The FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round on Saturday before hosting Bury on Tuesday night in the league.