THE Mintcakes were struck by a hard knock after falling out of the FA Cup.

Kendal Town crashed out of the FA Cup after they lost 5-2 to Bishop Auckland however a combination of mistakes and missed opportunities cost Jimmy Marshall’s team from gaining a result and a place in the next round.

After a cagey start to the game by both sides, Bishop Auckland fired a warning shot of what was to come on 13 minutes when Johnson sent Fairley clear with a defence-splitting pass but the offside flag had gone up as the attacker passed the ball past the Kendal keeper into the net.

The next attack saw Whitfield released down the right and his cut back to Johnson was swept home to give the two blues the lead. Mills was instantly replaced by Weirs due to injury.

On 26 minutes Gott's trademark free kick was tipped onto the post by Wilcock and then two minutes later the visiting keeper made another diving save to push out Whitfield's header.

The first sign of danger from the 'Mint cakes' arrived on 33 minutes when a quick break released a forward but the shot was dragged wide.

This only prompted the hosts to respond with a second goal when another surge down the right presented Whitfield with a great chance, his first effort smothered before the ball bobbled back to the striker to tap in unchallenged.

Just before halftime Bishops gifted Kendal a couple of opportunities on goal which were squandered and a great move at the other end saw Johnson curl just wide. Immediately from the re-start, Whitfield caused danger again as his run resulted in a shot that crashed off the post.

On 54 minutes a through ball allowed Johnson to outpace a Kendal forward Backhouse who had been deployed as an emergency defender, and after drawing out the keeper slid in from an acute angle. With Bishops' tails now up the fourth goal arrived quickly when a header from Elgie after a third successive corner somehow was allowed to bounce and spin in off the underside of the bar. Bishops' final goal of the afternoon came with 25 minutes still to play when Banks crossed to Fairley, whose close-range shot rebounded off the post for a grateful Johnson to complete his treble with a close-range finish.

Johnson could and should have grabbed a fourth goal but headed wide, and to their credit, Kendal's heads didn't go down and on 77 minutes pulled a goal back when a low shot beat the stranded Liversedge.

The bishops’ concentration had visibly evaporated which allowed numerous chances on Liversedges' goal in the final 10 minutes so it was no surprise when another consolation goal was scored in stoppage time when Yawson was found in space and calmly slotted in.