KENDAL Town FC managed to claw a draw against visitors Charnock Richard in an exciting six-goal game. 

Kendal keen to bounce back from their last two league defeats, made a slow start to the game. Charnock Richard was reduced to ten men after just 11 minutes due to Carl Grimshaws receiving a red card. The visitors were awarded a penalty in the tenth minute after Ryan Wilson was adjudged to have felled one of their players in the box.

Carl Grimshaw stepped up to take the penalty only for his tame effort to be comfortably saved by Ryan Hogarth in the Kendal goal. However, Grimshaw suffered a further blow after his follow-up attempt on Hogarth was deemed to be dangerous leaving the match referee with no choice but to brandish the red card.

Overall, Kendal was second best for a majority of the half while Charnock Richard created the better opportunities where Nathan Fairhurst saw his effort blocked while Nathan Nickeas’s corner was lifted over the bar by Simon Grand. The visitors continued to cause problems after Louis Holt fired his effort wide, with Kendal's best opportunity falling to Finlay Lynch who was inches away from converting Chris Wraighte's cross into the box. 

Despite Kendal having the advantage, the visitors scored first when Nathan Nickeas's free-kick hit the back of the net. On the stroke of halftime, Kendal went 2-1 up after Ryan Winder poked the ball past the keeper as Kendal celebrated.  


The Westmorland Gazette: Kendal was left stunned after Charnock put themselves in the lead at the beginning of the second halfKendal was left stunned after Charnock put themselves in the lead at the beginning of the second half (Image: Richard Edmondson)

Kendal managed to get to 2-1 up going into half-time following goals from Tom Kilifin and Ryan Winder, but Marcus Haydock equalised for the visitors four minutes into the second half. Kendal should have regained the lead after Shaun Sailor put his shot past the far post from an angle. Kendal was left stunned when Louis Holt scored a penalty which gave the visitors a shock 3-2 lead.

However, with nine minutes left Nathan Hankinson equalised for the Mintcakes and while they pressed for the late win, they had to settle for a point. 

Kendal is in FA Vase action on Saturday when they host Guisborough Town on Saturday before hosting Bury in the league on Tuesday night.