THE Mintcakes were dumped out of the FA Vase at the weekend before claiming a league win under the floodlights on Tuesday night.

Kendal Town moved up to sixteenth place in the North West Counties Premier Division after they defeated Winsford United 3-1 at Parkside Road on Tuesday.

The Mintcakes, who were keen to respond after their 4-3 FA Vase defeat to Longridge Town at the weekend, made the best possible start and were 2-0 up after 17 minutes following goals from Tom Kilifin and Ryan Winder.

However, the visitors got back into the game after 37 minutes when Dylan McMahon scored.

Winsford made a positive start to the second half before Kendal eventually sealed the three points when Shaun Sailor's header saw The Mintcakes to victory as they made it two league wins on the bounce.

Kendal returned to league action after a run of three consecutive cup games eager to pull further clear of any potential relegation trouble.

Kendal opened the scoring after just four minutes when Steven Yawson's effort forced a diving save out of Winsford shot stopper Aaron Lyons before the ball fell to the feet of Kilifin who scored from a tight angle.

The visitors nearly equalised five minutes later when Daniel Boden blazed over from close range and the miss proved costly for the visitors when Kendal made it 2-0 after Ryan Winder slotted the ball home from close range when he got onto the end of a ball into the box by Yawson.

Both teams had spells of possession for the remainder of the half while Kendal always looked dangerous going forward.

However, Winsford, against the run of play, got back into the game after 37 minutes following a close-range strike by McMahon.

Daniel Roccia in the Kendal Town goal kept the score at 2-1 when he made a save to deny the visitors following a one-on-one attack.

Finlay Lynch missed a glorious opportunity eight minutes into the second half after firing the ball over from five yards before Danny Roccia made a brilliant save from a Winsford corner preventing the ball from going into the bottom corner.

And Kendal missed a good chance after Wilson's penalty hit the post before Sailor extended the Mintcakes' lead on 67 minutes heading the ball into the bottom corner from Yawson's delivery.

Kendal pressed and created further chances from Brandon Croskell Robinson and Sailor while the Winsford keeper tipped the ball over the bar from Sailor's close range effort while Samuel IIlesanmi poked the ball wide for Kendal in the closing stages.

Kendal crashed out of the FA Vase losing 4-3 to Longridge Town at the weekend in a game where missed opportunities and mistakes proved costly for the home team.

Longridge opened the scoring after 10 minutes where Jack Anderton fired the ball into the corner before Rob Wilson equalised from the penalty spot two minutes later.

The visitors went onto capitalise on Kendal's mistakes with Dean Ings header finding the net, while Longridge were 3-1 up at half time after Ing who missed a penalty tapped home the rebound from close range.

Kendal dominated the visitors at the start of the second half and were soon back on level terms following an own goal and a close-range finish by Tom Kilifin.

The Mintcakes probed and created more opportunities from James Stanley, Yawson and Kilifin, who hit the post before Longridge edged in front where Ings slotted the ball home completing his hat trick.

Longridge were then reduced to ten men and Kilifin missed a sitter after he headed over from close range before the visitors saw out injury time to secure the win.

Kendal host Kirkby Stephen in The County Cup on Saturday with the game kicking off at 1.30pm before they travel to play Northwich Victoria on Wednesday night.

READ MORE: Kendal Town FC reach first round of FA Vase after defeating Guisborough Town