KENDAL Town made a grand entrance to the quarter finals as they dominated Kirkby Stephens at the newly named JROBS Ground Maintenance Stadium.

The Mintcakes eased to victory in the quarter finals of The Senior Challenge Cup after they defeated their Westmorland League Division One opponents 8-0.

Kendal went into the game and guarded against complacency as they played an opponent who are bottom of Westmorland League Division One.

Kirkby Stephen never gave up in a situation which became even more difficult for the visitors after an outfield player had to go in goal when their goalkeeper got injured during the game while they were reduced to ten men after the referee sent one of their players off.

However Kendal were comfortable throughout where Samuel Ilesanmis hat trick guided Jimmy Marshalls team into the next round as they play defending County cup holders Appleby in January.

Kendal who going into the game were undefeated in five, fielded one of their strongest teams of the season showing full respect to the competition and to Kirkby Stephen.

The Mintcakes who started the game well opened the scoring after just eight minutes played when Nathan Hankinson controlled Brandon Croskell Robinsons cross before firing the ball past the keeper.

Hankinson missed two good opportunities before Samuel Ilesanmi scored Kendal’s second goal on 27 minutes when Hankinson’s effort rebounded off the keeper and into the path of the striker who fired home the rebound.

Kirkby Stephens afternoon soon turned into a nightmare on 31 minutes when their goalkeeper had to go off injured, with an outfield player having to go in goal.

Kendal remained dominant and could have scored even more goals with Chris Wraightes header hitting the cross bar from a corner as The Mintcakes were 2-0 up at half time.

The home team made it 3-0 four minutes into the second half when Ryan Winders shot bobbled into the net before Samuel Ilesanmi scored his second and Kendal’s fourth goal on 54 minutes.

Kendal were then awarded a penalty which resulted in a player being sent off for the visitors, before Ilesanmi completed his hat trick as he placed the ball into the net.

Kirkby Stephen to their credit never gave up and forced a comfortable save out of Danny Roccia in the Kendal goal, before Brandon Croskell Robinson scored Kendal’s sixth goal when he picked up a smart back hell from Shaun Sailor before he finished past the keeper.

The goals continued to go in for Kendal when Chris Wraighte rolled the ball into the empty net after dispossessing the stand in keeper while Steve Yawson completed the rout scoring Kendal’s 8th goal with just two minutes left in the game.

Kendal travel to play Burscough in the next round of The Macron Cup on Friday night, while the team’s next league game isn’t until November 26 when they host Congleton Town.

The Mintcakes play defending County Cup holders Appleby in the quarter finals which are to be played in January.