THE Mintcakes claimed another victory in their campaign after their latest game against Congleton Town.

Kendal Town are the form team in The North West Counties Premier Division, after they defeated Congleton Town 2-1 at The JRobs Ground Maintenance Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

198 were in attendance to watch a resilient performance by Jimmy Marshalls team against an opponent who going into the game were five games undefeated and had former Port Vale striker Tom Pope in their starting line up

However Kendal started the game well and were 1-0 up after just three minutes when Tom Kilifin scored from close range before Steve Yawson scored Kendals second eight minutes into the second half.

Congleton battled back when Darren Chadwick scored after 88 minutes as they set up a tense injury time before Kendal held out to secure a win as they continue their climb up the table.

Kendal were defensively solid throughout the game where both Matthew Flynn and Darren Nightingale carried a presence at the centre of defence, whilst the attacking threats of Tom Kilifin, Steven Yawson and Brandon Croskell Robinson posed problems for the visitors.

However Kendal made the breakthrough after just three minutes when a free kick into the penalty area saw Tom Kilifin the quickest to react before firing the ball into the net from close range.

Congleton began to apply pressure on Kendals defence where Tom Pope fired his effort into the side netting while Darren Chadwicks fierce strike crashed off the crossbar

Kendal could have extended their lead on numerous occasions during the first half, where Tom Kilifin and Steve Yawson got into good positions only to be denied by solid defending and steady goalkeeping.

Congleton should have equalised at the start of the second half after a ball into the penalty area by Tom Pope was missed by everyone as Kendal cleared the ball away from danger.

And the missed opportunity proved crucial as Kendal made it 2-0 after a ball from Shaun Sailor found Steve Yawson who ran into the penalty area before finishing well past the keeper.

Kendal managed to control the game well, following the second goal while Rob Wilsons free kick posed problems for the visitors after the delivery just missed both Darren Nightingale and Matthew Flynn who were close to putting the ball in.

The visitors attempted to get back into the game with Danny Roccia forced in action after the former Bamber Bridge shot stopper made a good save following a fierce strike from distance.

Steve Yawson almost made it 3-0 when he cut inside the penalty area only to fire the ball over the bar from close range.

However with two minutes left Congleton pulled a goal back where Darren Chadwick scrambled the ball into the net and with five minutes of injury time, the visitors pushed for the equaliser whilst strong appeals for a penalty were waved away by the referee.

Kendal though held on as they continued their good run of form as the Mintcakes were due to have played Barnoldswick Town last night (Wednesday), whilst their next game is on Wednesday 7 December as they travel to play third placed Avro.