Match report by Richard Edmondson

Kendal Town showed true fighting spirit during the second half after they came back from 2-0 down to secure a draw against Litherland REMYCA in an entertaining game at The JROBS Ground Maintenance Stadium.

Kendal, while dominating possession during the first half, struggled as William Dunne’s brace saw Litherland hold a comfortable lead at half time.

The Westmorland Gazette: Brandon Croskell Robinson on the attack.Brandon Croskell Robinson on the attack. (Image: Richard Edmondson)

And if not for James Hoskins' superb save during the first 45 minutes the visitors could have easily been 3-0 up. The save proved too be the turning point for Kendal as prolific goal scorer Tom Kilifin edged Kendal back into the game nine minutes into the second half before the comeback was completed in injury time when Rob Wilson showed great composure to score a penalty.

Kendal were keen to build some momentum in what has been a relentless fixture list, and after losing 3-1 at Congleton Town on Tuesday night, Jimmy Marshall's team were hoping to impose themselves into the game against a Litherland team who themselves have come into some good form.

The Westmorland Gazette: Tom Kilifin on the attackTom Kilifin on the attack (Image: Richard Edmondson)

Litherland made the better start and were 1-0 up after seven minutes when a shot from distance hit the cross bar before Dunne scored the rebound from close range.

The visitors continued to cause problems for Kendal and went 2-0 up nine minutes later after Cal Hunter who made an unchallenged run into the penalty area saw his shot on goal rebound into the path of Dunne who scored his second of the afternoon.

Hoskins, playing his second consecutive game for Kendal, made a stunning save which denied the visitors their third after he palmed Cal Hunter's goal bound effort away for the corner.

Kendal were better during the second half however the visitors nearly scored their third when one of their players headed the ball over the bar.

The Mintcakes got back into the game on 54 minutes after Kilifin poked the ball into the net from close range as the ball was adjudged to have crossed the line by the linesman.

Kendal pressed while Paul Jarvis forced a good diving save from Litherland shot stopper Jack Reynolds, before Litherland were denied by Martin Grundy who made an important block on the line.

Marshall’s team went onto miss another good opportunity when Kilifin forced Reynolds into a diving save before Jarvis skied the ball over the bar.

Hoskins was again forced into action where he made another good save as he saved with his legs, while Kilifin missed a good chance for Kendal.

However the decisive moment of the game came in injury time when the refereed awarded a penalty kick for Kendal after Jarvis was pulled back in the box.

And Wilson stepped up as he placed the ball into the bottom corner before the visitors were then reduced to ten men moments later when one of their players was sent off for kicking out at Elliot Wilson.

But with little time left in the game, the referee blew for full time as Kendal settled for the point.