Kendal Town Football Club won The Senior Challenge Cup after they defeated Westmorland League Division One team Penrith Reserves 2-1 in the final at The JROBS Ground Maintenance Stadium.

However Kendal were made to work for the win after Penrith scored the opening goal midway through the second half.

The goal which stunned the vocal Kendal Town support spurred Kendal into life as they responded and equalised after Elliot Wilson headed the ball into the net, before Matt Flynn’s 91st minute winning strike sealed the win for Kendal as they celebrated winning their first piece for silverware for many years. Penrith who going into the game were given little chance of causing Kendal Town problems, however the team who play in Westmorland League Division One, more than proved the doubters wrong, as they frustrated Jimmy Marshalls team, and attempted to carry an attacking threat throughout the ninety minutes.

Kendal whilst not at their best especially during the first half created opportunities and if those chances were taken it would have been a more comfortable afternoon, although Penrith defended well in a largely frustrating first 45 minutes.

Both teams competed during the opening stages, with Kendal creating the first opportunity after three minutes when Joseph Dickson blazed the ball over the bar after he got on to a delivery in by Ryan Winder.

Penrith carried an attacking threat and looked dangerous as they fired a deflected strike over the bar while Kendal who struggled to get going almost scored when Matthew Flynn almost got onto the end of a corner into the box.

Kendal fashioned another opportunity with Ben Thomas fired his effort on goal over the bar, while the best moment of the first half feel to Shaun Sailor blazed his effort over from close range as a frustrating first half ended goalless.

The Mintcakes started the second half well, after Finlay Lynch saw his effort on goal blocked, while an awkward cross into the box from Penrith was put over the bar from close range by one of their players.

Jimmy Marshall’s team then went 1-0 down after 59 minutes when a miskick from Kendal Town goalkeeper Tom Goodwin fell to the feet of Craig Hay who stroked the ball into the empty net.

Kendal responded and equalised six minutes later when Ryan Winder’s corner was headed into the net by Elliot Wilson who rose the highest to score.

And the goal sparked Kendal into life as they fashioned glorious opportunities from Brandon Croskell Robinson who fired his effort at the keeper before Rob Wilsons powerful strike on goal was superbly saved by the Penrith keeper.

The opportunities continued to fall for Kendal as Ben Thomas saw his fierce strike saved by the keeper, before Matthew Flynn’s header on goal was saved by the keeper after the central defender met a good delivery into the box by Ben Thomas

However as the game went into the 90th minute, Kendal went 2-1 up after Matthew Flynn picked up the ball at the back post before striking the ball into the bottom corner.

Penrith despite going 2-1 down almost equalised in the second to last minute of the eight minutes added on time, after one of their players saw their strike on goal blocked by a Kendal defender. And when Kendal regained possession they saw out the last minute to secure the win and the Senior Challenge Cup.