DESPITE resting five first- team regulars and with two other key players still on the injured list, Kendal Town made it nine games without defeat as they eased into the second round of the Lancashire Cup.

Both Town and fellow UniBond League First Division side Fleetwood Town went into this tie with one eye on their respective FA Trophy third-round qualifying matches this weekend and understandably the match was a low-key affair.

Town manager Tony Hesketh rested strikers David Foster and Lee Ashcroft, defender Paul Sparrow and wingers Ged Smith and Peter Smith and the midfield was without injured Ricky Mercer and Stuart Cliff.

Phil Denney and Richard Allen both wasted goal-scoring opportunities for Fleetwood before Kendal settled.

In the 25th minute Kenny Mayers was pushed in the back by former Bamber Bridge defender Steve McCauley and referee Lee Metcalfe pointed to the penalty spot. Mayers made no mistake, driving the ball in to give Town the lead.

Minutes later Mayers ran in behind the Fleetwood defence but this time McCauley made amends with a timely tackle.

Denney should have squared the tie in added time at the end of the first half, but somehow failed to convert Michael Saunders' pin-point right-wing cross.

John Osborne, who has scored on the majority of his few first-team appearances for Town, made it 2-0 in the opening minute of the second half, steering a low shot past goalkeeper Andy Banks following good work by Mayers.

Fleetwood rallied and Allen forced James Salisbury into a brilliant double save. Denney was also unlucky when a low drive struck the post.

Banks saved well to keep out a Chris Ward header late in the game and the hosts game themselves a glimmer of hope in the 89th minute when Nathan Pond slammed an unstoppable drive past Salisbury and into the net.

Town were then content to see out time and book their place in the next round.

How they rated: Salisbury 8; Rigby 8, Taylor 8, Whittal-Williams 8, Woodruffe 8; Zolotarzuck 6 (P. Smith 8 from 75 minutes), McKenna 7, Kilford 7, John Osborne 8 (G. Smith 8 from 75 minutes); Ward 6, Mayers 7.