THERE were wet and windy conditions at Underley Park for this mid-table contest between Lymm in seventh and Kirkby Lonsdale in eighth position.

But Lymm, who had won the corresponding fixture on their artificial surface, arrived 10 league points ahead. There was pressure on Kirkby, with teams below them scrapping for survival points

Reece Tomlinson was out with illness, with David Cooper-Dunn coming in at four, while Dave Barton (pictured right) returned to the bench for the first time since sustaining injury at Harrowgate in September.

Lymm kicked off towards the town but it was Kirkby who scored first with a penalty from stand-off Mike Fearon to make it 3-0. The hosts were having the better of the exchanges and they extended their lead when scrum half Ben Walker took a tap and go from a penalty, an elusive run which took play into the Lymm 22, where Kirkby were awarded a scrum.

The Lonsdale pack was solid in the set piece and they delivered good ball. Flanker Stu Storey put in a typically penetrating run, and when he was tackled prop Dan Thompson got involved cleverly feeding Fearon who scored the first try wide out. He was unable to convert but Kirkby led 8-0 after the first quarter.

Next on the scoresheet was the ever improving young winger Ryan Allwood with a fine try, Fearon converting from the touchline to extend the lead to 15-0 as half time approached. Lymm opened their account with a converted try, but this was wiped out by a wonderful individual try from Harry Huddleston.

Lymm are a very good side with slick backs and as expected they came out fighting in the second half. Kirkby were forced onto the back foot and had a lot of defending to do, but showed enough courage and organisation to keep the visitors at bay.

Barton entered the fray, and Kirkby went looking for a bonus point fourth try which came from a combination of team work and individual skills from Walker and Huddleston, with the latter crossing the whitewash, and Fearon converting to make it 29-7.

Lymm did weigh in with a late consolation try converted to make the final score 29-14 but this was a crucial win for Lonsdale.

Fearon scored a try, kicked three conversions and a penalty to rack up fourteen points but he wasn’t man of the match. Neither was Huddleston who scored two fine tries.

That honour went to birthday boy Craig Galbraith (pictured left) for a great individual performance at eight in defence and attack, on what was a good day all-round for Kirkby Lonsdale.