A FEMALE police officer fell on rocks and broke her hand while investigating what police believe to be a hoax telephone call.

Searches are continuing today for missing man John Allen, 76, of Preston, who was last seen entering Ravenglass estuary on Monday.

Police revealed that they received a report at around 9.50am today that a body had been spotted at Beach Road, St Bees.

But after investigating the area, nothing was found and they now believe this to be a hoax phone call.

The call was made from a public phone box in St Bees, said police.


Inspector Mark Wear said: “We are shocked and saddened that someone has wasted the time and resources of those searching for Mr Allen by making a hoax phone call.

"We ask that only people with credible information contact us in order to not detract from an active missing person search.

“On top of the wasted time and resources a female officer fell on rocks on the beach and broken bones in her hand whilst searching. She was treated by paramedics at the scene and was taken to hospital. 

“The family of Mr Allen have been advised that this was a hoax call and we are continuing to search for their loved one.”

Mr Allen is described as 5ft 8”, of slim build and is bald. He was wearing a green fleece, green suede trousers and walking boots.

Underwater searches have been taking place since Mr Allen went missing. Mountain rescuers, coastguard, Cumbria Fire and Rescue, Cumbria Nuclear Constabulary (CNC) officers, the National Police Air Service and police have all be involved.

Insp. Wear added: “We appeal for anyone with information on the person who made this hoax call as we would like to speak to them about the incident and the consequences of making such a call. Anyone with any information can contact Police on 101 quoting log number 54 of the April 30."

Anyone with any genuine information that can assist in finding Mr Allen is asked to contact Cumbria Police on 101 and ask for the duty sergeant at Whitehaven Police Station quoting log number 59 of April 28.