Windermere garage firm fined £6,000 for health and safety breach which left mechanic badly burned

First published in News

A WINDERMERE garage has been fined £6,000 after a mechanic was badly burned while trying to cut the top off an empty oil drum.

Richard Simpson was using a propane torch to remove the lid when the remaining oil inside the drum set alight, causing an explosion.

He suffered burns to his hands and arms and was kept in hospital for five days.

The owner of Windermere Auto Centre, Kankku Ltd, pleaded guilty to the incident today (Tuesday) at South Lakeland Magistrates' Court.

Prosecuting was the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which said the company failed to consider the risk of the propane torch creating and igniting a vapour from the small amount of oil remaining in the drums.

Kankku Ltd pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 6(1) of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 by failing to minimise the risks to which employees were exposed.

The company, of Victoria Street, was also ordered to pay £4,746 in prosecution costs and £500 in compensation to the injured worker.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree