Woman rescued from smoke-filled house in Kendal

First published in News
Last updated

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a woman from a smoke-filled property in Kendal last night (Saturday).

Two crews from Kendal and a third from Staveley rushed to a two-storey house on Hayclose Road at 11.36pm after reports it was on fire with two people still inside.

The woman, who was downstairs at the time, was unable to reach the front door because of the thickness of the smoke.

She was located by two firefighters and carried outside.

A man who was upstairs in the property was led safely out.

Brian Steadman, station manager at Kendal Fire Station, said the house had working smoke alarms, which could be heard from the street.

He said that the fire started in a toaster on a work surface underneath a cupboard and was put out by a small amount of water from one hose reel.

Mr Steadman explained: "It was an insignificant fire in the grand scheme of things but it created quite a lot of smoke.

"The female had smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by paramedics and transferred to hospital."

Mr Steadman urged people not to use toasters underneath cupboards and storage units as fires in the electrical appliances could easily spread above.

Crews were on scene for around 45 minutes.

Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service offers free Home Safety Visits to help householders identify potential fire hazards in their homes. 

The service can include designing a 'fire plan' and in some cases smoke detectors can be fitted free of charge.

To arrange a visit contact freephone 0800-358-4777.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree