CUMBRIA Police today launch a 'Safe Place Scheme' to help vulnerable people who may be confused, scared or bullied while they are out and about.
People who use the scheme will carry a Safe Place identity card which they can show to staff at participating shops and businesses.
The card will carry that person's name and the contact number of someone they trust.
If they need help, the person will present their ID card to the manager or staff at the safe place.
The safe places are being asked to place an easily identifiable sticker in their window.
A Cumbria Police spokesperson said: “It is important that all members of our community feel safe when they are out and about and if this is not the case, then the Safe Place initiative provides them with somewhere to go to get help."
Shelia Gregory from Carlisle MENCAP said: "Very often vulnerable and elderly people will come into our shop when they are confused or feel unwell because they know our staff will help them – its great we can now do this on a formal basis with back up from the police."
The locations include:
• People First Kendal, Manna House, Castle Lodge, Aynam Road, Kendal
• People First Barrow, The Best Life Building, 12 Duke Street, Barrow in Furness
• Carlisle Mencap Opportunities Shop, St Cuthbert’s Lane, Carlisle
• Eden Mind Shop, 5 Market Square, Penrith
• Eden Mencap, 20/21 Little Dockray, Penrith
• Carlisle Mind Shop, 49 Bank Street, Carlisle
• Appleby Mind Shop, 4 Market Hall Arcade, Appleby
• Moorclose Library, Needham Drive, Workington
• West House, 26 Stanley Street, Workington
• People First, 4-6 Oxford Street, Workington
• Workington Leisure Centre, Newlands Lane, Workington
• Workington Library, Oxford Street, Workington
• Seaton pharmacy, 91 Main Road, Seaton
• Seaton Library, Seaton
• Cockermouth Library, Main Street, Cockermouth
• Maryport Library, Lawson Street, Maryport
• Home Housing Office, Irish St, Maryport
• West Café, 56 King Street, Whitehaven
• Cerebral Palsy Shop, 2A West Street, Wigton
• Oval Centre, Salterbeck Drive, Salterbeck
• Shackle’s Off’ Seascale
• Millom Library, St George’s Road, Millom
• The Library, Market Square, Cleator Moor