Kendal dinner kicks off Tory hopeful's parliamentary campaign

The Westmorland Gazette: Dr Ann Myatt (right) at the dinner with Jackie Foster MEP, deputy leader of the Conservative group at the European Parliament Dr Ann Myatt (right) at the dinner with Jackie Foster MEP, deputy leader of the Conservative group at the European Parliament

THE election campaign of Dr Ann Myatt, the prospective Conservative candidate for Westmorland and Lonsdale, was launched at a dinner in Kendal on Friday.
 

More than 120 people attended the event at the Castle Green Hotel.
 

Dr Myatt has recently taken up a post as consultant dermatologist at Westmorland General Hospital.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:56pm Tue 25 Feb 14

redhairedgranny says...

Good Luck to her. Let's hope she is a match for Farron and his lies and half truths. The problem with the Gareth McKeever, the last candidate was that he was just too nice to compete with the dirty tricks campaign run by Farron. When will people realise that all the troubles we have in South Lakeland are down to South Lakeland being run almost entirely by the Liberal Democrats? People complain all the time but either don't bother voting or vote for the Lib Dems because "Tim Farron does so much for South Lakeland", yet when asked what has he actually done they come up with rubbish such as "he sorted out my phone bill". Pathetic!
Voting should be made compulsory as it is in other countries. And no I am not a Conservative voter. I vote UKIP.
Good Luck to her. Let's hope she is a match for Farron and his lies and half truths. The problem with the Gareth McKeever, the last candidate was that he was just too nice to compete with the dirty tricks campaign run by Farron. When will people realise that all the troubles we have in South Lakeland are down to South Lakeland being run almost entirely by the Liberal Democrats? People complain all the time but either don't bother voting or vote for the Lib Dems because "Tim Farron does so much for South Lakeland", yet when asked what has he actually done they come up with rubbish such as "he sorted out my phone bill". Pathetic! Voting should be made compulsory as it is in other countries. And no I am not a Conservative voter. I vote UKIP. redhairedgranny
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Tue 25 Feb 14

Kendal lad says...

Omg redhairedgranny. Supporting the bigoted, racist, zenophobes. Good luck to you. There is no place in British politics for one policy fools who think that women's places are in the kitchen.
I don't support th LD's as a party, especially when they go back on their promises, but I would rather have TF as my MP for the good works he does in my constituency rather than a Farage stooge.
Wake up, smell the coffee. An exit from Europe will crucify this country.
Omg redhairedgranny. Supporting the bigoted, racist, zenophobes. Good luck to you. There is no place in British politics for one policy fools who think that women's places are in the kitchen. I don't support th LD's as a party, especially when they go back on their promises, but I would rather have TF as my MP for the good works he does in my constituency rather than a Farage stooge. Wake up, smell the coffee. An exit from Europe will crucify this country. Kendal lad
  • Score: -19

9:11pm Tue 25 Feb 14

redhairedgranny says...

Kendal lad wrote:
Omg redhairedgranny. Supporting the bigoted, racist, zenophobes. Good luck to you. There is no place in British politics for one policy fools who think that women's places are in the kitchen.
I don't support th LD's as a party, especially when they go back on their promises, but I would rather have TF as my MP for the good works he does in my constituency rather than a Farage stooge.
Wake up, smell the coffee. An exit from Europe will crucify this country.
You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. At least I'm noting voting BNP. The reason I vote UKIP is they are the only party who will give us a referendum on Europe. As for the good work you say Farron does in this constituency I think it's about time YOU woke up and smelled the coffee!
[quote][p][bold]Kendal lad[/bold] wrote: Omg redhairedgranny. Supporting the bigoted, racist, zenophobes. Good luck to you. There is no place in British politics for one policy fools who think that women's places are in the kitchen. I don't support th LD's as a party, especially when they go back on their promises, but I would rather have TF as my MP for the good works he does in my constituency rather than a Farage stooge. Wake up, smell the coffee. An exit from Europe will crucify this country.[/p][/quote]You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. At least I'm noting voting BNP. The reason I vote UKIP is they are the only party who will give us a referendum on Europe. As for the good work you say Farron does in this constituency I think it's about time YOU woke up and smelled the coffee! redhairedgranny
  • Score: 5

9:01am Wed 26 Feb 14

todhrocks@btinternet.com says...

I have debated with Ann and she is a strong candidate for the Tories. Remember too that, whatever the LD's say, there is a strong Labour choice in W&L.
I have debated with Ann and she is a strong candidate for the Tories. Remember too that, whatever the LD's say, there is a strong Labour choice in W&L. todhrocks@btinternet.com
  • Score: 3

4:37pm Wed 26 Feb 14

fellsman says...

redhairedgranny wrote:
Kendal lad wrote:
Omg redhairedgranny. Supporting the bigoted, racist, zenophobes. Good luck to you. There is no place in British politics for one policy fools who think that women's places are in the kitchen.
I don't support th LD's as a party, especially when they go back on their promises, but I would rather have TF as my MP for the good works he does in my constituency rather than a Farage stooge.
Wake up, smell the coffee. An exit from Europe will crucify this country.
You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. At least I'm noting voting BNP. The reason I vote UKIP is they are the only party who will give us a referendum on Europe. As for the good work you say Farron does in this constituency I think it's about time YOU woke up and smelled the coffee!
From Redhairedgranny
You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. At least I'm noting voting BNP. The reason I vote UKIP is they are the only party who will give us a referendum on Europe. As for the good work you say Farron does in this constituency I think it's about time YOU woke up and smelled the coffee!

Well this just about sums up the public misconceptions about UKIP - The ONLY party who can bring about a referendum on Europe is the one in power in Westminster - this is because laws to do so have to be passed in London. UKIP will not be able to form a government in Westminster and voting for them will only ensure that Labour or a Labour/Liberal coalition (which is what Farron is aiming for, with himself as Liberal leader) form the British Government - Then THERE WILL BE NO REFORENDUM AT ALL.

Of course voting UKIP in May's election will give us more MEP's from that party who can continue to pick up the fat pay packets and expenses, as those who are there at the moment do - and continue to do nothing else whilst they are there.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but don't go preaching about something that can never happen
[quote][p][bold]redhairedgranny[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kendal lad[/bold] wrote: Omg redhairedgranny. Supporting the bigoted, racist, zenophobes. Good luck to you. There is no place in British politics for one policy fools who think that women's places are in the kitchen. I don't support th LD's as a party, especially when they go back on their promises, but I would rather have TF as my MP for the good works he does in my constituency rather than a Farage stooge. Wake up, smell the coffee. An exit from Europe will crucify this country.[/p][/quote]You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. At least I'm noting voting BNP. The reason I vote UKIP is they are the only party who will give us a referendum on Europe. As for the good work you say Farron does in this constituency I think it's about time YOU woke up and smelled the coffee![/p][/quote]From Redhairedgranny You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. At least I'm noting voting BNP. The reason I vote UKIP is they are the only party who will give us a referendum on Europe. As for the good work you say Farron does in this constituency I think it's about time YOU woke up and smelled the coffee! Well this just about sums up the public misconceptions about UKIP - The ONLY party who can bring about a referendum on Europe is the one in power in Westminster - this is because laws to do so have to be passed in London. UKIP will not be able to form a government in Westminster and voting for them will only ensure that Labour or a Labour/Liberal coalition (which is what Farron is aiming for, with himself as Liberal leader) form the British Government - Then THERE WILL BE NO REFORENDUM AT ALL. Of course voting UKIP in May's election will give us more MEP's from that party who can continue to pick up the fat pay packets and expenses, as those who are there at the moment do - and continue to do nothing else whilst they are there. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but don't go preaching about something that can never happen fellsman
  • Score: 5

8:25am Thu 27 Feb 14

Kendal lad says...

Why do you want a referendum on whether you want to be part of Europe? We are !!
More nonsense about 'We don't want Johnny foreigner telling us what to do' no doubt.
I am proud to be a European, just as I am proud to be a British citizen who sees himself as English:- because I am.
Unless you are going to move the UK off the European continental shelf, you too are European. Get over it.
Why do you want a referendum on whether you want to be part of Europe? We are !! More nonsense about 'We don't want Johnny foreigner telling us what to do' no doubt. I am proud to be a European, just as I am proud to be a British citizen who sees himself as English:- because I am. Unless you are going to move the UK off the European continental shelf, you too are European. Get over it. Kendal lad
  • Score: -11

12:47pm Thu 27 Feb 14

JimTraficantforPresident says...

Kendal lad wrote:
Why do you want a referendum on whether you want to be part of Europe? We are !!
More nonsense about 'We don't want Johnny foreigner telling us what to do' no doubt.
I am proud to be a European, just as I am proud to be a British citizen who sees himself as English:- because I am.
Unless you are going to move the UK off the European continental shelf, you too are European. Get over it.
Ah, the "Get over it" retort. Not a phrase used by those trying to construct a logical and coherent reply to some proposition they disagree with. But political opponents of UKIP do seem to be more adept at name calling than logical argument.
[quote][p][bold]Kendal lad[/bold] wrote: Why do you want a referendum on whether you want to be part of Europe? We are !! More nonsense about 'We don't want Johnny foreigner telling us what to do' no doubt. I am proud to be a European, just as I am proud to be a British citizen who sees himself as English:- because I am. Unless you are going to move the UK off the European continental shelf, you too are European. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Ah, the "Get over it" retort. Not a phrase used by those trying to construct a logical and coherent reply to some proposition they disagree with. But political opponents of UKIP do seem to be more adept at name calling than logical argument. JimTraficantforPresident
  • Score: 2

2:49pm Thu 27 Feb 14

Kendal Jock says...

redhairedgranny wrote:
Good Luck to her. Let's hope she is a match for Farron and his lies and half truths. The problem with the Gareth McKeever, the last candidate was that he was just too nice to compete with the dirty tricks campaign run by Farron. When will people realise that all the troubles we have in South Lakeland are down to South Lakeland being run almost entirely by the Liberal Democrats? People complain all the time but either don't bother voting or vote for the Lib Dems because "Tim Farron does so much for South Lakeland", yet when asked what has he actually done they come up with rubbish such as "he sorted out my phone bill". Pathetic!
Voting should be made compulsory as it is in other countries. And no I am not a Conservative voter. I vote UKIP.
Totally agree with 'redhairedgranny'! Can anyone tell us in real terms,
what has Farron actually achieved, other than getting his picture in the
Gazette on a regular basis?
[quote][p][bold]redhairedgranny[/bold] wrote: Good Luck to her. Let's hope she is a match for Farron and his lies and half truths. The problem with the Gareth McKeever, the last candidate was that he was just too nice to compete with the dirty tricks campaign run by Farron. When will people realise that all the troubles we have in South Lakeland are down to South Lakeland being run almost entirely by the Liberal Democrats? People complain all the time but either don't bother voting or vote for the Lib Dems because "Tim Farron does so much for South Lakeland", yet when asked what has he actually done they come up with rubbish such as "he sorted out my phone bill". Pathetic! Voting should be made compulsory as it is in other countries. And no I am not a Conservative voter. I vote UKIP.[/p][/quote]Totally agree with 'redhairedgranny'! Can anyone tell us in real terms, what has Farron actually achieved, other than getting his picture in the Gazette on a regular basis? Kendal Jock
  • Score: 11

4:48pm Thu 27 Feb 14

Kendal lad says...

JimTraficantforPresi
dent
wrote:
Kendal lad wrote:
Why do you want a referendum on whether you want to be part of Europe? We are !!
More nonsense about 'We don't want Johnny foreigner telling us what to do' no doubt.
I am proud to be a European, just as I am proud to be a British citizen who sees himself as English:- because I am.
Unless you are going to move the UK off the European continental shelf, you too are European. Get over it.
Ah, the "Get over it" retort. Not a phrase used by those trying to construct a logical and coherent reply to some proposition they disagree with. But political opponents of UKIP do seem to be more adept at name calling than logical argument.
Jim, Jimmy, Jim Jim,
That is rich coming from a person with a tag name that supports a convicted felon, who tried to defend (unsuccessfully) a known concentration camp guard.
If you wish to elevate the political argument to your lofty heights, that is fine. Tell us how you choose your tag name:- clearly a supporter of immigration control eh??
Where would have been 75 years ago if we hadn't let all those foreigners in to assist our country in its time of need?
As for UKIP, this is a one policy party who are obsessed with immigration and that's it.
[quote][p][bold]JimTraficantforPresi dent[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kendal lad[/bold] wrote: Why do you want a referendum on whether you want to be part of Europe? We are !! More nonsense about 'We don't want Johnny foreigner telling us what to do' no doubt. I am proud to be a European, just as I am proud to be a British citizen who sees himself as English:- because I am. Unless you are going to move the UK off the European continental shelf, you too are European. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Ah, the "Get over it" retort. Not a phrase used by those trying to construct a logical and coherent reply to some proposition they disagree with. But political opponents of UKIP do seem to be more adept at name calling than logical argument.[/p][/quote]Jim, Jimmy, Jim Jim, That is rich coming from a person with a tag name that supports a convicted felon, who tried to defend (unsuccessfully) a known concentration camp guard. If you wish to elevate the political argument to your lofty heights, that is fine. Tell us how you choose your tag name:- clearly a supporter of immigration control eh?? Where would have been 75 years ago if we hadn't let all those foreigners in to assist our country in its time of need? As for UKIP, this is a one policy party who are obsessed with immigration and that's it. Kendal lad
  • Score: -4

7:37pm Thu 27 Feb 14

brokenbanjo says...

Vote Tory? Never. Some people have short memories, what did Tim Collins ever do? He wasn't even in the constituency the majority of the time.
I find it funny people calling for a referendum on Europe spilling the crap the Daily Hate brigade fire out every day. I guess those that don't want Europe, don't want all the various employment laws that mean we have limits to the hours we have to work, or the number of holidays we are allowed. Not to mention the majority of the consumer laws and rights to refunds. How about public health legislation, like the clean air directives which serve to ensure our cities have clean air.
Also with respect to immigration, what is to stop YOU from upping sticks and working abroad? Nothing. A lot of people have risked everything to come to a different country to work. They spend their own time and money learning the language and integrate themselves.
Also, given that we are a rural constituency, where do you think the money comes from to keep all our farmers in work? Certainly not the Exchequer, no, it comes from Europe.
But yeah, Europe is bad. Not as bad as this Country would be had the Tories had full control. Look at the DWPs work, making blind people lose their benefits. Or determining the seriously mentally ill can work, so therefore bang, no benefits. The bedroom tax too, further compounding the misery the most vulnerable in society. That was with some temperance from the Lib Dems, whom I am pretty annoyed with for allowing this to happen. If you care for your fellow human, you don't vote Tory, or the BNP in Suits (UKIP).
Vote Tory? Never. Some people have short memories, what did Tim Collins ever do? He wasn't even in the constituency the majority of the time. I find it funny people calling for a referendum on Europe spilling the crap the Daily Hate brigade fire out every day. I guess those that don't want Europe, don't want all the various employment laws that mean we have limits to the hours we have to work, or the number of holidays we are allowed. Not to mention the majority of the consumer laws and rights to refunds. How about public health legislation, like the clean air directives which serve to ensure our cities have clean air. Also with respect to immigration, what is to stop YOU from upping sticks and working abroad? Nothing. A lot of people have risked everything to come to a different country to work. They spend their own time and money learning the language and integrate themselves. Also, given that we are a rural constituency, where do you think the money comes from to keep all our farmers in work? Certainly not the Exchequer, no, it comes from Europe. But yeah, Europe is bad. Not as bad as this Country would be had the Tories had full control. Look at the DWPs work, making blind people lose their benefits. Or determining the seriously mentally ill can work, so therefore bang, no benefits. The bedroom tax too, further compounding the misery the most vulnerable in society. That was with some temperance from the Lib Dems, whom I am pretty annoyed with for allowing this to happen. If you care for your fellow human, you don't vote Tory, or the BNP in Suits (UKIP). brokenbanjo
  • Score: -13

11:52pm Thu 27 Feb 14

JimTraficantforPresident says...

Kendal lad wrote:
Why do you want a referendum on whether you want to be part of Europe? We are !!
More nonsense about 'We don't want Johnny foreigner telling us what to do' no doubt.
I am proud to be a European, just as I am proud to be a British citizen who sees himself as English:- because I am.
Unless you are going to move the UK off the European continental shelf, you too are European. Get over it.
Kendal lad, you make some very large assumptions based on a single name. Am I to assume you are 10 years old ?

Jim Traficant's tenure in the House was exemplified by his commitment to his voters and not the party machine. A rare beast in this modern age who consequently made many enemies. You appear to have read a little about him but missed the part where his constituent, John Demjanjuk, was found innocent on appeal by the High Court of Israel.

Do I support Immigration Controls, of course I do. Even without the issue of overcowding, it is accepted that it is impossible to maintain a Welfare State and free Health Care with open borders. Also, you seem to confuse geographic Europe with political Europe. Switzerland, probably the most successful democracy ever, is situated slap bang in the middle of Europe but is not part of the EU. They had a referendum and the people said no...........
[quote][p][bold]Kendal lad[/bold] wrote: Why do you want a referendum on whether you want to be part of Europe? We are !! More nonsense about 'We don't want Johnny foreigner telling us what to do' no doubt. I am proud to be a European, just as I am proud to be a British citizen who sees himself as English:- because I am. Unless you are going to move the UK off the European continental shelf, you too are European. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Kendal lad, you make some very large assumptions based on a single name. Am I to assume you are 10 years old ? Jim Traficant's tenure in the House was exemplified by his commitment to his voters and not the party machine. A rare beast in this modern age who consequently made many enemies. You appear to have read a little about him but missed the part where his constituent, John Demjanjuk, was found innocent on appeal by the High Court of Israel. Do I support Immigration Controls, of course I do. Even without the issue of overcowding, it is accepted that it is impossible to maintain a Welfare State and free Health Care with open borders. Also, you seem to confuse geographic Europe with political Europe. Switzerland, probably the most successful democracy ever, is situated slap bang in the middle of Europe but is not part of the EU. They had a referendum and the people said no........... JimTraficantforPresident
  • Score: 8

10:55am Fri 28 Feb 14

Kendal lad says...

JimTraficantforPresi
dent
wrote:
Kendal lad wrote:
Why do you want a referendum on whether you want to be part of Europe? We are !!
More nonsense about 'We don't want Johnny foreigner telling us what to do' no doubt.
I am proud to be a European, just as I am proud to be a British citizen who sees himself as English:- because I am.
Unless you are going to move the UK off the European continental shelf, you too are European. Get over it.
Kendal lad, you make some very large assumptions based on a single name. Am I to assume you are 10 years old ?

Jim Traficant's tenure in the House was exemplified by his commitment to his voters and not the party machine. A rare beast in this modern age who consequently made many enemies. You appear to have read a little about him but missed the part where his constituent, John Demjanjuk, was found innocent on appeal by the High Court of Israel.

Do I support Immigration Controls, of course I do. Even without the issue of overcowding, it is accepted that it is impossible to maintain a Welfare State and free Health Care with open borders. Also, you seem to confuse geographic Europe with political Europe. Switzerland, probably the most successful democracy ever, is situated slap bang in the middle of Europe but is not part of the EU. They had a referendum and the people said no...........
Switzerland:- successful yes, only by certain measures. As long as you have money, are happy to support far right and racist political propaganda, the high cost of living etc.
Lets not mention the fact that poverty is on the increase with an increasing amount of all the wealth held by a few people.
And God help you if you are Muslim !!
It would appear that you fall into the 'one policy' obsessives grouping, with immigration being the thing that defines.
UKIP are playing to the lowest common denominator and the Tories are following them down the same plug hole. They are so afraid of losing grip on their duck houses and second homes that they have forgotten the people they serve.
Take the little Englander line if you wish, I for one welcome the variety that immigration brings.
[quote][p][bold]JimTraficantforPresi dent[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kendal lad[/bold] wrote: Why do you want a referendum on whether you want to be part of Europe? We are !! More nonsense about 'We don't want Johnny foreigner telling us what to do' no doubt. I am proud to be a European, just as I am proud to be a British citizen who sees himself as English:- because I am. Unless you are going to move the UK off the European continental shelf, you too are European. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Kendal lad, you make some very large assumptions based on a single name. Am I to assume you are 10 years old ? Jim Traficant's tenure in the House was exemplified by his commitment to his voters and not the party machine. A rare beast in this modern age who consequently made many enemies. You appear to have read a little about him but missed the part where his constituent, John Demjanjuk, was found innocent on appeal by the High Court of Israel. Do I support Immigration Controls, of course I do. Even without the issue of overcowding, it is accepted that it is impossible to maintain a Welfare State and free Health Care with open borders. Also, you seem to confuse geographic Europe with political Europe. Switzerland, probably the most successful democracy ever, is situated slap bang in the middle of Europe but is not part of the EU. They had a referendum and the people said no...........[/p][/quote]Switzerland:- successful yes, only by certain measures. As long as you have money, are happy to support far right and racist political propaganda, the high cost of living etc. Lets not mention the fact that poverty is on the increase with an increasing amount of all the wealth held by a few people. And God help you if you are Muslim !! It would appear that you fall into the 'one policy' obsessives grouping, with immigration being the thing that defines. UKIP are playing to the lowest common denominator and the Tories are following them down the same plug hole. They are so afraid of losing grip on their duck houses and second homes that they have forgotten the people they serve. Take the little Englander line if you wish, I for one welcome the variety that immigration brings. Kendal lad
  • Score: -7

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree