THREE initiatives which aim to boost the local economy in South Lakeland are to receive grants totalling more than £16,000.
Cumbria County Council’s South Lakeland local committee approved grants from its budget for three major attractions.
The funding is:
* A total of £8,500 to Kendal Futures, the regeneration partnership for the town which seeks to facilitate and encourage investment in the local economy.
The figure comprises two grants £6,000 towards continuing the Kendal Futures co-ordinator post and £2,500 towards updating the town’s regeneration action plan, which makes the business case for investment in Kendal.
* £4,000 to Kendal Arts International towards Mintfest 2014, the annual street arts festival in Kendal which organisers say boosted the local economy by more than £1.2m last year.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Murder charge pensioner, 81, found dead in River Eden
- UPDATE: Woman in bus collision on mend, say police
- Kendal man uses dating app Tinder to 'hitchhike' across USA
- Kendal woman, 92, died after fall down stairs from flat
* £4,000 to Lakes Arts Festivals, towards the Comic Arts Festival 2014. The grant will help organisers to build on the success of last year’s inaugural international event in Kendal, and will be used to fund a free comics family zone in the town and develop the festival in towns such as Kirkby Lonsdale and Ulverston.
In addition, the local committee also agreed a £200 grant to the Lancaster Canal Restoration Steering Group, to help with annual operating costs such as meeting room hire and other expenses.