A BOLD bid to recreate photograph of sheep being herded through Kendal town centre more than 60 years ago has been carried off without a hitch.

Well over a hundred people got out of bed early to watch the iconic Kendal Rush Hour picture being re-staged - including some of the people who appeared in the original shot.

The stars of the modern version of the photo were a flock of rough fell sheep owned by South Lakes farmer Jane Knowles, which were herded down Allhallows Lane at 9am today by Sedbergh shepherdess Alison O'Neil.

The image, copying the one taken by photographer Joseph Hardman in 1953, was re-created as part of the run-up to Kendal Wool Gathering in October.

Among the people who turned out this morning was Janet Hughes, of Burneside Road, Kendal.

“I just happened to be passing to go to the bank and remembered that it was on, so I came to see what was happening with the sheep coming down Allhallows Lane.

“It’s really been very well organised. The turnout is excellent and at least we’ve got the weather for it.”

Watching alongside her was Sarah Greenhowe with her three children - Hattie, six, and three-year-old twins Will and Eddie.

Sarah's husband Adam also came along from the family home near Blackpool - but his role was to stand in the same spot his late father Fred, a delivery driver, was in when original photograph was taken.

“Adam’s mum Trudie saw the story in the Gazette," said Mrs Greenhowe. "His late father Fred was in front of the truck and he’s taken his position in the new photograph.”

Another participant was Edward Acland, 72, who appeared in the original Hardman photo when an 11-year-old schoolboy.

“It’s been absolutely brilliant," he said. "It all went like clockwork. I’d been rather pessimistic, wandering what they hadn’t thought of; but they thought of everything.

“It’s so thrilling that it went so beautifully well. It’s brought back memories and there’s been a really pleasant atmosphere about the whole thing.”

A fellow Burneside lad, Anthony Walshaw, also took up the position he occupied back in 1953.

“I was waiting for a life home to Burneside in the Acland’s Land Rover when it was taken," he recalled, adding: "I’ve enjoyed being part of this, although it was a bit tedious standing around waiting. But the sheep were beautifully behaved.”