IT WAS just four minutes into Windermere’s home fixture against Carlisle Crusaders when the South Lakeland side struck.

The Windermere forwards advanced from their own 10 metre line through multiple phases. When they reached the Carlisle 22, the defence was in disarray and the ball was spun out to the Windermere backs. James Crawford scampered between two defenders to touch down, but failed to convert his own try.

He made amends 15 minutes later with a penalty to widen the gap to eight.

After the restart, Carlisle’s backs produced an exciting break to get behind the Windermere defence and a try was only averted by a superb cover tackle from Chris Lightburn Jnr.

Some neat interplay got Windermere territorial gains and the ball found flanker John Sheasby lurking on the right wing. He bumped and spun his way through some traffic to score wide on the right – too wide for Crawford to convert.

With half time approaching, a good carry from Lightburn gave Benson possession close to the Carlisle line and there was no stopping him. Crawford added the conversion and, in the last play of the half, kicked a long range penalty to give Windermere a 23-0 lead.

Windermere began the second half in powerful fashion and Nutter managed to form a maul as he picked up from a ruck after 44 minutes. The maul advanced in textbook style and as it came to a halt five metres out, scrum half Proctor took the ball and scrambled over on the blind side for another five points.

Shortly afterwards, a Carlisle player was red carded for punching having been sinbinned earlier in the game for the same offence.

The next half hour had some good rugby, but Windermere’s dominance in the scrum was blunted as Carlisle declared they couldn’t scrummage competitively.

Redistributing their players strengthened the Carlisle defence and Windermere made too many mistakes to increase their lead, so the match ended 28-0 and ‘Mere earned themselves the bonus point to retain second position in Cumbria League One.

Meanwhile Kirkby Lonsdale, who have been deducted 15 points, were beaten 38-12 by Furness, while Kendal 2XV succumbed to an 18-0 defeat to third-placed Silloth.

Hawcoat Park made it 10 wins out of 10 as they defeated Millom 16-0.

Penrith RFC A XV also prevailed narrowly in a 22-19 success over Netherhall.