DANNY Coid scored a delightful opening goal as Kendal cruised to victory over a subdued Salford City – recording back-to-back wins for the first time since December.

The former Blackpool defender was joined on the scoresheet in the first-half by Maison McGeechan while Ammies’ substitute Daniel Browne saw red and leading scorer Danny Mitchley missed a late spot-kick.

Dave Foster made one personnel change to the side which recorded victory at Farsley with Rob Wilson replacing the injured Kevin Brown and starting on the right of midfield.

Warren Beattie partnered Ricky Mercer at centre-half – a position he occasionally occupied during his previous spell at Parkside Road – with Jack Smith pressed into central midfield.

McGeechan twice engineered space behind the Salford defence to no avail before the Mintcakes took the lead on nine minutes through Coid – his seventh strike of the season.

After taking possession of the ball just inside the penalty area, the 32-year-old lashed a right-footed effort past stranded Salford keeper Joe Clements and into the top corner.

Kendal were in the ascendancy for most of the opening period and regularly looked to exploit the high line being employed by the visiting defence.

An unmarked Mitchley powered a header from Wilson’s corner over the bar ahead of the home side doubling their advantage midway through the half.

McGeechan latched onto a forward ball by full-back John Ross before outpacing Salford skipper Aaron Walters and placing the ball beyond Clements.

This was the forward’s sixth goal in his last eight appearances since finding the net at Harrogate Railway Athletic in the last match of 2013 and the 14th of a productive campaign.

Despite enjoying an impressive midweek win at Ossett Town, Salford barely threatened with their best chance falling to Jack Laird after 25 minutes.

The frontman rounded Danny MacDonald after finding himself though on goal only for a narrowing angle and the attentions of Ross to deny him.

Midfielder Sam Fitzgerald sent a half-volley wide of the post before Mitchley again failed to hit the target after meeting Smith’s deep cross from the right.

The next chance fell to Smith, whose effort from range fizzed over after Mitchley’s pull-back, as the striker was forced wide following Coid’s incisive pass.

There were very few clear cut opportunities in the first half of the second period, the best being a Wilson free-kick from the corner of the box which narrowly missed the upright.

Kendal have been guilty of throwing away commanding leads at times and the Mintcakes were indebted to MacDonald who turned away a Purcell effort on 77 minutes.

But any thoughts of a Salford revival were extinguished a minute later as Browne received a straight red card for inexplicably lashing out at Mercer.

A curling Purcell shot drifted wide with five minutes remaining before Kendal’s miserable run of form from the penalty spot continued – making it six missed spot-kicks from the last nine.

After being fouled in the box, Mitchley – despite only scoring one of his previous four penalties – stepped forward but saw his low effort repelled by Clements.

Nevertheless, Kendal had done enough to secure a routine win and now take their resurgent form into Saturday’s clash at Prescot Cables and Tuesday night’s home fixture with Padiham.

Kendal Town: Danny MacDonald, Joss Ross, Callum Hoctor, Warren Beattie (c), Ricky Mercer, Jack Smith, Rob Wilson (Colin Watson 90), Danny Coid (Mike Rushton 68), Danny Mitchley, Maison McGeechan (Oli Mathieson 86), Craig Carney. Subs not used: Michael Stringfellow

Salford City: Joe Clements, Christopher Collins-Reid (Richard Smith 72), Robbie McIntyre, Phil Edghill, Ryan Gaskin, Aaron Walters (c), Matthew Purcell, Sam Fitzgerald, Jack Laird (Haydon Foulds 55), Stuart Cook, Josh Messer (Daniel Browne 55). Subs not used: David Chadwick, Christos Fafoutis

Attendance: 160