A GRITTY Ben Barrow knock saw Netherfield recover from a lacklustre start and progress to the TWP Wealth Twenty20 final after strangling the Lancaster reply in the middle overs.

The Parkside Road club defended a relatively modest 129-7 to win by 13 runs as slow left-armer Tom Williamson picked up 2-18 and Nathan Chambers 2-22.

After losing big-hitters Marc Brown, Saliya Saman and John Huck, Ben Phillips provided the initial fightback before Barrow gave the innings further impetus with a top score of 42.

Netherfield were 8-0 in the second over before Brown picked out Scott Sparks at square leg off the bowling of New Zealand professional Michael Barry for two.

Saman was the next to go, trapped in front by Liam Moffat for six which saw Huck join Ben Phillips at the crease, as the Australian carried the fight to the Lune Road outfit.

Huck smashed Ian Burstow for a six over long on with a further maximum over mid-wicket from Phillips bringing up the Netherfield fifty in the ninth over.

Huck was stumped next over by Sam Moorby off Matthew Liver for 14 with Barrow’s first-ball cover drive to the boundary saw Netherfield 61-3 at the halfway stage with Phillips 31 not out.

Liver struck again to remove Phillips, who picked out Luke Phillips at silly mid-off, after striking five fours and clearing the boundary rope once, as Barrow and Joe Atkinson took Netherfield beyond three figures.

Sparks bowled former Lancaster man Atkinson for seven before Brad Earl edged Metcalfe behind for one with the Parkside Road club 116-6 after 18 overs.

Barrow batted with plenty of poise, hitting four boundaries but also maximising the scoring opportunities around the ground to finish with a 33-ball 42.

He holed out to Dylan Conroy at long on to ensure Barry was the pick of the bowlers with 3-19 as Liver returned economical figures of 2-19.

Jamie Heywood and Barry started the Lancaster reply in positive fashion, reaching 28-0 after four overs before the former top-edged to Stuart Dixon at short third man for 12.

Dixon conceded only 16 runs from his spell and struck in his second over as Charlie Swarbrick picked out a diving Earl at mid off, with Lancaster well set at 47-2 from eight overs.

This wicket proved a turning point with Earl’s first over a maiden as the scoring rate slowed with Lancaster adding just five runs in the next three overs.

Phillips, who struggled to score freely, was run out for four before Burstow cracked a six off Earl as Lancaster progressed to 70-3.

Williamson took the big wicket of Barry – who was snaffled by Huck at mid wicket – before bowling Burstow as the youngster picked up two scalps with his first three balls.

With the scoreboard reading 81-5 and Lancaster requiring 49 runs from five overs the pendulum was swinging in Netherfield’s favour with Phillips’ direct throw running out Moorby for five.

Chambers bowled Moffat for three and despite an aggressive Conroy adding 28 from 22 balls, Netherfield prevailed by 13 runs to set up a showdown with Blackpool in the final.