FOUR first-half goals saw Kendal Town dumped out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle in Tuesday night's replay with Newcastle Benfield.

Following Saturday's scoreless draw at Sam Smith's Park, the Mintcakes welcomed The Lions to the Lancaster and Morecambe Stadium but crashed out of the famous cup as goals from Michael Riley and Nathan Jack either side of a Paul Brayson brace ensured it was a night to forget.

Boss Dave Foster made just one change to the side that earned the replay with Maison McGeechan replacing Mark Jackson in the central striking role.

And it was Newcastle Benfield, who ply their trade in the Northern League Division One, one league below Kendal, who dominated the opening exchanges and took a fifth minute lead through a training ground free-kick routine.

Mark Convery's 30 yard free-kick caught the Kendal defence sleeping as he found Philip Airey in space in the penalty box. Airey pulled the ball back to the waiting Riley who rifled home a left-footed drive past Dave Stevenson between the Kendal sticks.

McGeechan was a willing runner in the channels but the away side's midfield and defence played a high pressing game which resulted in a number of long balls going all the way through to stopper Andrew Grainger.

The lead was doubled on the 19 minute mark when the lively left winger Nathan Jack gained a yard on Daniel Forbes and whipped in a devilish cross.

Skipper Brayson got across his man and executed a perfect diving header into the bottom right-hand corner past the despairing dive of Stevenson.

The home side then had a host of chances to reduce the deficit. Rob Wilson struck a 25 yard free kick wide of the right-hand side post before he fired a tame shot straight into the hands of Grainger moments later.

Craig Carney's shot was deflected wide and Ricky Mercer headed over from the resulting corner before the away side piled further misery on Kendal.

Jack switched the ball from left to right with a 50 yard pass which was brought down by Brayson, who drove into the penalty box and was judged by referee Leigh Doherty to have been fouled.

Brayson dusted himself off and struck home the penalty - sending Stevenson the wrong way - to add a third after just 33 minutes.

But that was not the end of scoring in the first half as the impressive Jack added his name to the scoreboard.

The number 11 picked up the ball on the left hand side touchline and nipped inside Forbes before unleashing an unstoppable 30 yard drive that arrowed into the top corner.

Gregg Timbrell and Tommy Watson replaced Carney and Reece Fishwick at half-time as Kendal looked for a way back into the game but it was the away side who looked most likely to score in the second half.

Jack should have added a fifth when he fired wide from six yards and was a constant threat on the left-wing until he was replaced after 72 minutes.

The away side's defence stood firm throughout and it Wilson who came closest to a Kendal consolation goal as his 80th minute free kick struck the post.

Mercer had two strikes blocked late on as the game petered out to end an evening of disappointment for Kendal.