THAT well used rally saying ‘every second counts’ must have been ringing in David Wright’s ears at the end of Saturday’s Malcolm Wilson Rally at Grizedale.

The Bentham driver had finished the event on a time equal to that of third placed Jonny Greer but with rally rules giving advantage to the quicker through the first stage it was the Irishman who claimed the podium place.

Wright wasn’t too despondent though as he and co-driver Steve Pugh picked up the first in Class B14 awards by way of consolation.

After a slow start through the opening three Whinlatter tests things didn’t get any better in Greystoke where Wright wedged his Ford Focus WRC01 into the chicane bales and dropped 20 seconds in extricating the car.

Despite the constant rain and patchy fog, he then found Grizedale more to his liking as his stage times proved. He was third fastest through both Grizedale North and South, the only quicker drivers being ultimate rally winner David Bogie and runner-up Keith Cronin. Heading back into the final Greystoke test he took six seconds from Greer but it wasn’t enough and he was forced to accept fourth place.

Kirkby Lonsdale Motor Club members made a clean sweep of Class B13 prizes with Wayne Sisson from Burton-in-Kendal taking top honours in his Mitsubishi Lancer Evo10 after finishing tenth overall. Carnforth’s Ian Joel claimed second place in his Ford Escort Cosworth whilst Millom’s Chris Williams co-drove Fred Milne to third in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo9.

They finished 13th and 18th overall respectively.

There were more prizes for Kirkby members as Heather Grisedale, from Grange, won the first in Class RF1.4 awards as co-driver to Andrew Wheatley, from Cockermouth, in a Ford Puma. Mike Wolff and Mark Twiname won the third in Class B12 awards after finishing 52nd overall in their BMW E30.

Flookburgh’s Aaron McClure had a steady run to bring his Mitsubishi Lancer Evo9 home 21st overall and earn some BTRDA Rally Series points vital to his 2017 championship campaign.

James Hall came out best of a trio of Penrith drivers bringing their Proton Satria home in 49th place.

Mark Shaw finished 65th in his Talbot Sunbeam whilst Alan Mayhew brought his Ford Escort Mk2 home in 87th place, both having dropped places after collecting time penalties.

A similar fate befell Kendal brothers-in-law Pete Gorst and Phil King who were demoted to 89th place in their Citroen Saxo.