Evo-Stik Premier League
North Ferriby United 4
Kendal Town 2
DEFENSIVE errors were to prove costly for Kendal Town as they went down 4-2 against North Ferriby United.

The league match was a good chance for Lee Ashcroft's men to test their mettle ahead of their Doodson Cup clash in east Yorkshire on Wednesday, March 21.

But despite leading 1-0 at the break, there were some lessons to be learnt for the Cumbrians as they shipped four second half goals.

Kevin Leadbetter continued where he left off against Marine on Tuesday night as he adopted a shoot on sight policy which almost gave the visitors the lead just ten minutes in.

And after Leadbetter had fired wide, an Adam Farrell corner had to be pushed over the crossbar by keeper Adam Nicklin.

The breakthrough came for Town in the 29th minute when Kevin Larvin deflected the ball into his own net.

Mark Jackson took a quick corner to Farrell and the Town striker skipped past two defenders before crossing the ball in from the byline and Larvin was unlucky from a yard out in netting.

But Billy Heath must have put something in the half time brews at the Rapid Solicitor Stadium as his side flew out of the starting blocks for the second half.

Gary McEvatt poked an effort wide before Leadbetter shot wide and the game soon turned on its head.

A free kick from Nathan Peat led to the leveller on 54 minutes when Town failed to track the run of skipper Paul Foot and he connected with the ball into the box to head beyond Craig Dootson.

Just four minutes later the hosts had the lead when Town were unable to clear the ball.

Town failed to deal with a cross into the box on three occasions and the nippy Gary Bradshaw took the final touch to put North Ferriby ahead.

McEvatt's final touch eluded him on a sunny day on the outskirts of Hull and 2-1 became 3-1 when the ball was stolen from him.

Williams collected the ball deep in his own half but rather than punting upfield, opted to run at his markers.

But he was caught in possession by Bradshaw who played a neat through ball for Wayne Brooskby who ran to the edge of the area and slotted under Dootson as the hosts took control.

The goal brought Town back to life though and Carl Osman burst into the box to set up Farrell but the striker's effort went straight at Nicklin.

Town were back in the match with 11 minutes to go though when another mazy run from Osman saw the ball bounce around the box before Osman latched back onto the ball to fire it home for 3-2.

McEvatt was put through minutes later but was forced wide and the chance went begging but another opportunity just three minutes from time saw him head straight at Nicklin when it looked like he would fire home.

A poor header in defence from Williams allowed Ben Harper to volley past Dootson for 4-2 and a bad day at the office was compounded when the left back was pulled up for tripping Lee Morris in the box.

Dootson saved Morris' penalty but Town will hope to take their chances next time out at Ferriby in three weeks' time.

HOW THEY RATED: C Dootson 6, R Winters 6, D Williams 5, S Gray 5, M Joseph 6, K Leadbetter 7, C Osman 7, G McEvatt 6, A Farrell 6, A Dunn 6, M Jackson 5 (rep C Donnelly 63mins).

Subs: T Kilifin, J Tucker, T Newton STAR MAN: K Leadbetter - Pacy going forward and was not afraid to have a pop at goal.

Att: 212